586,500 active members*
2,391 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fagor Automation > Setup for 8 position tool turrent on Fagor 8055T

Smile Setup for 8 position tool turrent on Fagor 8055T

Hi All,
    Looking at installing a 8 position tool turrent on my lathe which has a Fagor 8055T Controller.

Just thought id throw it out there if anyone has done this or would know where to start ?

I have already a automatic electric 4 post on it now , but find it very limited so now looking at converting it to 8 post.

Just interested in how to configure the 8055T

Any thoughts ?
    Thanks
    In advanced

Re: Setup for 8 position tool turrent on Fagor 8055T

Quote Originally Posted by jubee View Post
    Hi All,
    Looking at installing a 8 position tool turrent on my lathe which has a Fagor 8055T Controller.

Just thought id throw it out there if anyone has done this or would know where to start ?

I have already a automatic electric 4 post on it now , but find it very limited so now looking at converting it to 8 post.

Any thoughts ?
    Thanks
    In advanced
    Different turrets brands and models will use different configurations
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

ok, thanks.
    The one I'm looking at purchasing from china, looks like a generic brand. HAK31063 6 8 Station
    Lots of online shops selling them , and they all have the same model number.

do you know set up the fagor with different configurations ? or is all in house stuff ?

Hi Jubee,

I think I can help you out, I used to retrofit FAGOR controllers for almost a decade.
    Tool change programs are typical stored as a subroutine. That will need to be adjusted, which I can help you with, and you will have to declare the tools in the table section, which I can also help with.

Hi All,

Any thoughts ?
    Thanks
    In advanced

double reply ,whoops

Great news ,thank you
    Where are you located

Im in Australia

I am in California, but we can work out a time that works for both us. Will you be needing help soon? I have Integrated custom tool hangers with their own plc and had them fully integrated with the FAGOR controller. If the tool changer does not have its own plc the only real challenge is determine how to power to the motor that runs the carousel.

Great news ,thank you
    Where are you located

Im in Australia

How do i find out if the Tool changer has its own PLC ? can i run the Carousel from the fagour controller ?

Here is the manual for the tool changer. It does show wires going to a PLC

Hi Jubee,

This looks very straight forward. The main drawback however of this system is that you will need at least 8 outputs available on the Axes card. The carousel does seem to have its own internal logic. But the wording is in very broken English so it’s hard to tell. The way it works is that the T# M6 command will trigger a sub routine in which you have a set of G code that goes to the Carousel, an M code that triggers the carousel to rotate to the current Tool, a set of G code to put the tool in the carousel, and then another M code to turn the carousel based upon the T# value. The main problem will be that I don’t think the carousel has an output that you can put on the inputs of the axes card that will trigger the end of the carousel sequence in the subroutine. But that can be done through electrical or hardware modifications.

Here is the manual for the tool changer. It does show wires going to a PLC

ok Thanks, how do i tell how many outputs or inputs on the axes card i have?

Your inputs and outputs are on X9 and X10. To know which ones are being used you have to look at your plc.

ok Thanks, how do i tell how many outputs or inputs on the axes card i have?

ok , will have a look.
    The machine now has a 4 x way auto turrent so im assuming that there's inputs going back to the controller to tell it to stop etc.

I will do a bit more investigation , not exactly sure if its entirely worth the effort and money for an extra 4 tools....
    I certainly could use 8 x tools but sounds like lots of stuffing around.

Would it be possible if i bought it and then to do test on it while its not positioned on the machine ?
    just so i can test it before installing it ?

need to fix this first , only got it on start up today ?
    Any ideas ???
    The lube tank i filled up , wasn't empty and there's pressure

PLC: 0005 5 S LUB PRESSURE DOWN

pressing ESC or main menu wont clear the message so i cant use the machine until i fix this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230725_204824_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	495278

Hi Jubee,

Since FAGOR does not make any machines and their controller has no standard plc. Each manufacturer or “installer” is free to program the PLC as they wish. There is no way for me to know what that error is triggered by unless you were to show me the PLC. It is also definitely possible that the sensor is just bad.

Do you have a connection to the controller through winDNC? You can download it for free, and connect to it with an Ethernet cable if your controller has a port on the cpu, or you can buy a custom rs232 cable from a 3rd party FAGOR Cnc supporter, one of which I can refer you to privately.

need to fix this first , only got it on start up today ?
    Any ideas ???
    The lube tank i filled up , wasn't empty and there's pressure

PLC: 0005 5 S LUB PRESSURE DOWN

pressing ESC or main menu wont clear the message so i cant use the machine until i fix this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230725_204824_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	495278

Thanks for your reply , been away. Just back last week.

I figured it out , took me awhile.
    We had changed extension cords and they were wired differently , so the pump was running backwards.\
    Talk about pulling my hair out ......lol

Couldnt imagine something so simple causing so much pain All sorted now.....

Next question.
    Been using the conversational part to do all our jobs , but have just a job that i need to do it from fusion 360.
    The 8055 controller software is old i think , Version 12.08 ( not sure how old) but none of the Post processors with fusion work ....
    Any ideas ?