586,974 active members*
3,062 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Minimum torque calc. for conversion

Threaded View

Minimum torque calc. for conversion

Hello all.
    Im current undergoing a full rebuild of my little Optimum BF16V benchtop mill,Im thinking I might take the opportunity to convert it to CNC while im at it.

I tend to like to plan everything through beforehand, especially in reguards to budget, I also tend to like to "buy once cry once"

Im hoping someone here can either help me calculate or even offer there experience with same/similar models, as to what is the minimum torque and other metrics I can get away with for each axis.

Not because Im cheap or anything, but because the machine is so small that there isnt necisarrily alot of free space to work with and I assume generally smaller torque = smaller motor. But also because I'm cheap

Working on the assumption that I will use closed loop steppers. Probably uses things like the Nemas as a basis for comparison. But obviously if someone would like to refer a model that's awesome too!

Im a general machinist by trade but most of my work ends up being machine rebuilding, repairing and toolmaking. Ive tidied the mill up alot and made some modifications but functionally and it is mostly the same with the glaring exception of a new saddle, made to be a bit bigger. I dont have a mass for you just yet but if it will make the difference between one size and the next i will add when I have the number.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by NP-rosbud; 06-26-2023 at 03:33 PM.