586,471 active members*
3,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need a new computer

My windows 98 has died and can`t be repaired. I have been waiting ver 6 moths for our computer guy do more than take a couple pictures. I am giving up on him.
    I have an older Warthog which always worked fine. I plan on running Aspire and Flexi sign. I`m fine with buying a new computer but the existing setup was connected to the machine with a 37 pin male to male cable . That was attached to a daughter board in the 98 machine.
    I am being told that there will not be room in a new machine for the board. I was told a usb to 37 pin cable would work. I can`t seem to find one of those anywhere.
    Can anyone make a suggestion ? I could really use some advice or help. We have a sign shop and I would like to be able to use the machine for a lot of what I do. I`m in my 70`s and carving everything by hand does a number on my hands sometimes.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Bob Peach

Re: Need a new computer

I am skeptical that a "new" computer with USB is going to be useful in driving a legacy system via a "37 pin" cable. (Just wondering here, are you sure it isn't a 36 pin [Centronics style] cable?) Perhaps you could post a photo of both ends of the cable.

In my opinion, you might be better off buying a [new to you] "old" computer that does have room for the existing interface board.

It is definitely a 37 pin. Just checked again

Quote Originally Posted by Bob P View Post
    My windows 98 has died ......... I`m fine with buying a new computer but the existing setup was connected to the machine with a 37 pin male to male cable . That was attached to a daughter board in the 98 machine.
    What type daughter board?... is it a PCI or ISA maybe?

DJ

PS- get your camera fixed..

Any idea which part of the old computer was at fault?If you could transplant the hard drive to another machine it would be quite an easy fix or maybe try ebay for a motherboard to use as a substitute in your current machine.I learned a useful lesson a few years ago when a sales assistant in a computer store explained to me that cases in general haven't changed much since Windows 95,small form factor excepted.So now I upgrade by buying new motherboards and keeping the case.I've also bought new power supplies to resurrect a machine or two.