586,537 active members*
2,918 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > XYZ Gantry Routers > AXYZ 4008 Router Trouble With Toolpath and Vectric Aspire

Question AXYZ 4008 Router Trouble With Toolpath and Vectric Aspire

Hello,

I have an old AXYZ 4008 CNC router with the old AMC controller (not the A2MC, expenssive upgrade, can't do it). I have the disk to install toolpath on a pc and have done that, but I've been reading that people install the AXYZ DNC and the NC files go directly from Vectric software to the DNC and right to the CNC. That all sounds great.

My problems lie in the area of "what do I need in order to move forward?"

A list of my components and things I do have:

AXYZ 4008 CNC router (2003)
    AMC Controller
    AXYZ Toolpath software disk (installed toolpath and DNC)
    RS-232 to RS-485 optically isolate converter (serial port)
    Vectric Aspire 11.5 (latest version)

Things I do not have:
    Laptop with a serial port and and CD drive (can purchase, not a problem if need to get one, the usb adapter I have for serial port does not work)
    AXYZ - 23117 USB to RS485 Converter Box (recommended by an AXYZ technician, don't see why I need it) (also expensive, would be cheaper to jsut get a laptop with a serial port)

So, the problem lies in knowing what I need to get a laptop to be recognized by the CNC and inporting the jobs. I've seen like I said that people have no problem using Aspire or Vcarve and running it throught he DNC, I'm just struggling with understanding which hardware I need to have. My thinking right now is that I will purchase a laptop with a serial port, get AXYZ Toolpath and DNC on it, make my files from aspire and export the toolpaths (the NC files) and then import them using the DNC while the machine is connected thus bypassing the need for toolpath altogether.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I've been talking to many reps and getting nowhere, please let me know if my reasoning is sound or if I'm completely on the wrong trakc. Cheers.

Re: AXYZ 4008 Router Trouble With Toolpath and Vectric Aspire

I see several misapprehensions.You can almost get things made with what you have,but you do need an RS485.You cannot communicate with an AXYZ of that vintage without it.The toolpath does not go directly from the Vectric software to the machine,it needs to be post processed with the correct post processor for your AXYZ machine to turn it into a form of Gcode that the controller understands.In order for the machine to work properly it will need to be calibrated and the settings should be in the manual-if you don't have the manual things are much tougher.There is a section of the toolpath software where the calibration numbers can be entered.There is also a test program that you should run to verify that the settings are correct and the dimensions of the test piece can be checked for accuracy.
    Don't try to use a new computer with a controller of that vintage because it won't work unless you have some new elements added to the controller and they may exceed the cost of the machine.If you stick with a Vista or older system the toolpath software will be fine.It only serves to send the Gcode to the controller and because of the age of the program and the controller design it will only accept filenames of no more than 8 characters.The outline of the toolpath should appear on screen if you succeed.The rest of what you need to know can be found in the manual.

You might get a slight benefit from A2MC but DNC is just a way to run a program that has been post processed and exceeds the memory capacity of the controller and it uses the computer's storage to hold the program and send it in packets to the controller.

Re: AXYZ 4008 Router Trouble With Toolpath and Vectric Aspire

Hi DomKas
    I am running the exact same setup with Vectric 11.5, no problems. Did you eventually come right with the 4008?