586,544 active members*
2,811 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Change Go To Work Zero Script

I’m still stumbling my way through learning Mach4 after using Mach3 for 10 years. I’m starting to understand it better but could use some simple help.

I was able to get the Go To Work Zero button working after some research. I had to remove the A Axis from the script since I only have a 3 axis machine and I added in the Z because I like to see that all three are going to zero.
    mc.mcCntlMdiExecute(inst, "G00 X0 Y0 Z0")

That works great but I always get worried watching this machine scream to zero all at the same time.

I decided to watch the Newfangled video on changing the script and did what he showed in the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZuE...el=MachSupport

mc.mcCntlMdiExecute(inst, "G00 G53 Z0\nG00 X0 Y0\nG00 Z0")--With Z moves

and I did this. I think I added in a Z0 though at the X0 Y0 though because it immediately buried the bit in the spoilboard as it went to work zero. With the servos and settings I have this happened in the blink of an eye and I couldn’t hit the estop fast enough lol

What I would love it to do is first move the Z axis to machine coordinates of 5.5”, second, bring the X & Y to the work zero and lastly bring the Z down to the work Z zero and I’d rather not kill anything else in my trial and error of writing this script so anyone with the correct script I would be very grateful.

Re: Change Go To Work Zero Script

Hi,
    there are posts on the Mach4 general Discussion board that deal with that.

It was a game move to include a move that causes the Z axis to descend into the work zone. If there is even a small error in your setting you
    risk driving you spindle into whatever is down there, vice....spoil board...your hand. There is a reason that NFS did not include such a move.

Craig

Re: Change Go To Work Zero Script

Hi,

mc.mcCntlMdiExecute(inst, "G00 G53 Z0\nG00 X0 Y0\nG00 Z0")--With Z moves
    Note the first part G00 G53 Z0\n...the G53 means that the move is Machine Coordinates. So the move goes to machine zero in the Z axis at rapid traverse (G00) speed.

Where is your machine coordinate for the Z axis. Most machines have the machine z=0 right at the very top of travel, out of harms way. Thus the move that the complete line does is
    first 'Go to the very top of the Z axis, then the next line (after the \n) says go to work x=0 and work y=0, then the last line (after the second \n) says go to work z=0 at rapid traverse speed (G0)......which is down into the
    work envelope. Are you sure you want to do this....your driving the Z axis down into trouble?

Craig