In short Path Pilot interface using a linux cnc kernel changed Tormachs business and business model.
Having more control over how the software drives their machines was one of the best things Tormach ever did.
The big thing is consistent operation leaning toward industry standards.
Having a bunch of users all wanting the machine and control to work the way they think it should is and was a hot mess.
And mach was that way. With PP Tormach gained control of this and could limit the changes. This allowed better support and ability implement the software on A number of machines consistently.
I personally enjoy using the same control interface on a 4 axis mill, 2 axis lathe and a large format router and could still add robot arms and plasma cutting all running the same exact control interface. This is very appealing to me anyway.

You couple that with good cad and cam software and you have a complete TOOL SYSTEM that is just crazy easy to use.

Having a different interface with buttons and other features might be nice. I enjoy using it as is With a touch screen and normal keyboard.
I dont like having a mouse or using them in my shop and If they changed anything that would be the one thing I would like.

Only reason is I only use it to right mouse button click on a code line for the run from here menu. That is it!
Otherwise, I never use the mouse and it just takes up space. All other functions are on touch screen or Keyboard.

Just my opinion But I dont see much reason to complicate the interface much more than it is.
I load code, check tool offsets, set program code offsets, Fixture stock, and hit the run button on touch screen. Follow prompts and done.
All this is super easy to do with touch screen and keyboard. No real need for anything more

As for wizards or conversation code options and menus, I only use them for stock prep now and then.
All my code comes from fully simulated cam setups that include complete part models, part stock, fixtures, tools, tool holders and machine schematics.
Makes for precise drama free results every time. I made a habit of learning to do this and refining it to the point its easy and fast on mill, router and lathe.
My cam supports everything the machines can do including rigid peck tapping along with another dozen different strategies and parameters just for internal tapping and external threading on both mill and lathe. router has no encoder or reverse so thread milling is your only cam option.
Options like that might be useful to some people but in my opinion Tormach understands that many if not most of their users are going to use cam.
Cam software is mainstream these days and again in my opinion an essential part of the tool system. I think all three of my machines are boat anchors without it.
I see and read about people that brag about how good they are at hand coding. Im like ok, I often setup programs that have hundreds to hundreds of thousands of lines of Error free code. You could not even type a program header in the time it takes for me to do a complex part with 6 sides, 6 offsets and 10 tool changes per side. And use both lathe and mill to make it with machined results passed from lathe cam to mill cam. No extra or wasted tool paths on stock that is not there.
In short Without good cad cam and Good cad cam skills your not using 98% of the machines ability.

As for overall development and user added ability Im all for it. You never know what might be good and useful.
It just prefer it to be consistent and somewhat industry standard.