586,497 active members*
3,285 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Thinking of upgrading to a MiniTech Mill

Thinking of upgrading to a MiniTech Mill

I currently have a Sherline mill with A2ZCNC X and Y extensions and the A2ZCNC AMCE leadscrew upgrade all driven by Flashcut CNC servos. I'm thinking of upgrading to a small mill that runs on linear slides and uses ball-screws. This system will be used to make small aluminum parts.

The MiniTech Mini-Mill/4 and Mini-Mill/3 Pro seem like they might work well for me. I've spoken to MiniTech and they can provide a mill without motors but with appropriate connections so that I can simply attach my servos and continue to use Flashcut which works well for me.

I've only seen pictures of the MiniTech Mills. May I ask users of either the Mini-Mill/4 or Mini-Mill/3 Pro to comment on their mills?

Thanks. Don Frambach

I've had a MM3-pro for 3 years and it's a great machine. Rock solid, very accurate and no backlash. They are not cheap as you've found out, but you get what you pay for.

I mostly mill multi sided jewelry and other decorative small parts in wax and plastic, with the occasional AL part. I've cut a little stainless too and have yet to have a problem with the mill.

The only limitation I've found, is that I use a NSK spindle which has high rpm's but not a ton of torque so I can't make very deep cuts in AL without the spindle bogging down. The spindle is great for 99% of what I do, where I'm using .003" cutters, just not for metal and a 1/4" end mill. Get an appropriate spindle and you'll be very happy with it.

mm4

I purchased a mini mill 4 without the stepper/servo system and installed a previously purchased stepper system from Camtronics. The mill is fantastic - accurate and fast. I cut mostly aluminum parts and have no regrets regarding the machine purchase at all. The travels are generous with the MM4 as well. The MM3 is smaller and lighter, but if your work fits within its envelope, I would imagine it to be equally well suited for the task.
    www.rc-monster.com