586,385 active members*
3,498 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > 4 axis machning 3d Human Head from 3d scanning

4 axis machning 3d Human Head from 3d scanning

I'm come across a 3d scanner from web. I think about machinning the Human head with the 4 axis cnc router from the output files by scaning human head with the 3d scanner.
    Anyody have the experience of this machining works? Do you think this type of works have potential commercial value and market?

Hello Joemic,
    I own a company called 3dscantech ltd based in the UK, what we do is 3dscanning and reverse engineering and 1 of our projects was to scan a human head and make a model like for like out of 3mm thick flame cut blanks for an artist for a competition.

The Artist won this competition and we were asked to supersize this head to
    30mm profile milled mdf wood, so we had 64off x 30mm profiled milled mdf wood blanks. when we built the head it stood 1.8m high, the next step was to have the head broze coated and placed on a plynth. the "Giant's head" now is place outside a new innovation centre outside Newcastle University.

I have some photo's of the process that i have attached.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AGF00010.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi 3dscantech,

Wow, a really big head. Really nice scupture. What software are you using for your work to slice every layer to 2d drawing?

Are you using laser scanner for the scanning job? So, the guy need to close their eye when scanning?

I'm thinking of add a 4th axis to my CNC router and buy a 3d scanner to do those job.

Really appreciate for your sharing.

Hi Joemic,
    We use a Faro arm LLP (laser line probe) this is a an arm with a laser attached the LLP will like spray the part using 19,200 points per second,
    what the software does then is it creates a point cloud (on the head it was about 4 million points) then we can clean the point cloud and convert that point cloud into an STL file.we wrote a cutter path and off you go. the softaware we us is called Geomagic qualify which is a capture software, we scan the part in Geomagic Qualify then we reverse engineer it in Geomagic Studio and from that you can export STL,IGES,VDA,STEP,CATIA,PROE ect...

The scanner is a class 2 scanner so it is not dangerous, we advise not to stare in to any laser, but yes the model shut his eyes.

Have a look at www.faro.com
    www.geomagic.com and my website www.3dscantech.com

Hi 3dscantech,

Faro Arm LLP, an expensive tool. I thinks I will try to buy the 3d scanner from NextEngine which cost $2500.00 for start to learn from the basic.
    Thanks a lot for your information

Good Luck!