586,565 active members*
3,788 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

cnc stepper lathe turret plans

I am looking for cnc stepper lathe turret plans.

here's another set of plans I found

More Plans

Rotary Table as Tool Turret indexer.

Has anyone tried using a regular Rotary table with manual/auto index lock and stepper motor to index directly and simply mount the tools around the table, with a custom faceplate type tool holder?. Saves a lot of time machining a turret from scratch.

C6 Lathe Turret

Here is a Turret that I made for the Syil C6 Lathe. It is SoooSweet and works flawlessly. I used the pdf in post#3 as a reference.I have been asked about the design but I couldnt find that pdf. Everything on my Turret was Scaled to fit The C6. The C/L of the 8 tools had to be 3.00 from the crosslide..they are!
    There was alot of work involved in the making.But it was worth it.it uses a 4way solonoid valve to cycle the cylinder and macros to rotate the stepper motor.I had to install a driver in the Syil Control Box for the stepper and a C9 DC Relay(CNC4PC)to trigger the solonoid...So, it can be done...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-255L.JPG   MVC-248L.JPG   MVC-249L.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by CNCZONERAMICO View Post
    Has anyone tried using a regular Rotary table with manual/auto index lock and stepper motor to index directly and simply mount the tools around the table, with a custom faceplate type tool holder?. Saves a lot of time machining a turret from scratch.
    Perhaps not? Amy reason anyone thnks this will /does not work?

So why dont you be The One to do it? The whole concept of making one is the skill involved in doing it. If you are a Machinist then its just another Job...So why dont you Just Do it??

Hi Journey_Man,
    Do you use plan from this http://www.nwstp.com/jsm/turrett.pdf, its look like the same. If you use it, how easy to install or to make it, considering precision. I f I want to use it for a bigger lathe, this should be re-designed? Thanks.

Asuratman...Yes that is the Origional Drawing that I got the design from..When I started making it I wanted to be able to remove the Q/C Toolpost and Install the Turret. Plug it in and run it. I have seen Ron Kliewer's plans...and he used the same concept...So You too can re-design it to fit your Lathe! I used 1/2" tooling, if you have a Larger Lathe then you can go to Larger Tooling. If you have CAD Software then you can actually get the turret drawn up there then make it per print...I did all of the Lathe work first;then the mill work;then put the parts together...It is a rather lengthy project. But not hard.
    There is some fixturing to be done on the Turret head. I first made the head,(5.0"O.D.X1.25)after turning the O.D&Face, I reamed a .3125 hole through(for fixturing) Bored softjaws...turned the backside ect.(concentricity-.0005) I then made a fixture plate with a .3125 reamed hole to locate the head on. Then did the 8 .250 reamed holes in the plate.(the same bolt circle pattern that is for the head.) Drilled & tapped (4) 1/4-20 holes for clamps. Mounted the head on the plate with face down. Drilled & Reamed the 8 .251 dowell holes in the Turret Head. Unclamped,put 4 .250 dowells in the Plate @90* Reinstalled the Turret on the fixture and indicated (.001 max runout) now ready for the tool slots and bored holes & engraving. I didnt have any guidelines for engraving so I just put slots @ 1,2,3,4,& holes @ 5,6,7,8 itworks...You can use the fixture plate to do the holes in the O.D. alot of work in the head itself..I think it took me about 10 hrs to finish. Another day in the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Journey_Man View Post
    So why dont you be The One to do it? The whole concept of making one is the skill involved in doing it. If you are a Machinist then its just another Job...So why dont you Just Do it??
    there is more involved than just machining when you want to try something new from scratch and of this nature. You not only have machining, but also pneumatics, control areas that need to be understood clearly in order not to screw up a final product. I am not sure, if what I was asking, is new or not, but if not, I am qualified to design one from scratch but I was trying to avoid that part, since I am always pressed for time. I have looked around for something similar for sale for a small lathe but have not found one. If anyone knows of one that I could purchase please let me know. I do like your setup and I might just read up more on such and see how that would work out for my lathe. Thanks.

Hello guys,
    Do you know how much does it cost (approximate) for dorian turret cnc say for any model example? Thanks.

CNC Lathe Turret Plans - can someone please post?

Hi Group,

It appears that all of the websites posted in this thread have disappeared.

>>> Can anyone with the files please post them here - so that the rest of us can have access to them ?

Thanks !

Joe
    www.CNC-Joe.com
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

Lathe Turret

Hi Joe! Post#4-Ron Kliewer's plans...still works. He wants $50.00 for them...
    I found those plans/pictures along time ago @ Mach3 forum on Yahoo..(but they were removed) and Scaled them down to fit my Syil C6 lathe..The turret ended up weighing 20lbs. works great. I myself just used the Pics and went from there...At the time that I was doing it I just started making parts and not really looking at design features...I haven't set it up in years because it is a PITB for a few parts... I run a ROMI M20 Lathe at my job and am so use to setting up tools and making parts with it, that I do the same thing on My C6...I will see if I have the Drawings and zip them and post them here...Bob

Re: C6 Lathe Turret

Here is a Turret that I made for the Syil C6 Lathe. It is SoooSweet and works flawlessly. I used the pdf in post#3 as a reference.I have been asked about the design but I couldnt find that pdf. Everything on my Turret was Scaled to fit The C6. The C/L of the 8 tools had to be 3.00 from the crosslide..they are!
    There was alot of work involved in the making.But it was worth it.it uses a 4way solonoid valve to cycle the cylinder and macros to rotate the stepper motor.I had to install a driver in the Syil Control Box for the stepper and a C9 DC Relay(CNC4PC)to trigger the solonoid...So, it can be done...
    Great Job!
    I understand this is a old thread but I was wondering if you could help me understand how this works. in the drawing post #10 I dont quite understand how the turrett is locked and unlocked?
    Does the internal indexer slide on .125 pins fixed to the servo shaft mount? Yours looks great and I would love to try and duplicate it I just dont see what parts move in and out.

Thank you for any clarification
    Sam.

Re: cnc stepper lathe turret plans

Hi I just got the email about your trying to understand how this thing works....I didnt make mine per that drawing.I just used it as a guide. Part #2 is what I bolted the Turret Head to wuth a 3/8-24 Flat head cap screw.The Piston only moves .250 in and out it pushes the turret forward to clear the .250 pins to index then back to lock. Part#6 is bolted to the backside of Part#2 also with a 3/8-24 FHCS. There are 2 .187x1.25 dowells in Part#5 and I used .188 bushings in Part#6 those turn Part#2 which in turn rotate the Turret. Part#5 is mounted to the Stepper Motor Shaft. The Piston is moved back and forth with air...I didnt use a plate like the yellow one in the drawing..just used the turret head and made it so it had .005-.010 clearence on the faces...Hope this clears some stuff up??

Hi I just got the email about your trying to understand how this thing works....I didnt make mine per that drawing.I just used it as a guide. Part #2 is what I bolted the Turret Head to wuth a 3/8-24 Flat head cap screw.The Piston only moves .250 in and out it pushes the turret forward to clear the .250 pins to index then back to lock. Part#6 is bolted to the backside of Part#2 also with a 3/8-24 FHCS. There are 2 .187x1.25 dowells in Part#5 and I used .188 bushings in Part#6 those turn Part#2 which in turn rotate the Turret. Part#5 is mounted to the Stepper Motor Shaft. The Piston is moved back and forth with air...I didnt use a plate like the yellow one in the drawing..just used the turret head and made it so it had .005-.010 clearence on the faces...Hope this clears some stuff up??
    Thank you for the Help I could not quite understand why the backing plate was needed myself. :-)
    I Have a couple more questions if you don't mind.
    Did you make all of the parts from Aluminum?
    I'm curious as to how you machined the radius on the Base?
    I don't see a dim. for the depth of bore in the housing it appears to be 2" ?
    What size did you make your turrett the Drawing shoes 6"
    I will be using this on a 10" lathe

Thanks Again for your help and prompt response.
    Sam

Hi Sam, I made the Cyl-Piston-Spindle-Turret out of steel.The rest out of 6061.
    The Turret is 5.0"O.D.X1.25.
    The Cyl is 4.5"od X 3.125"id X 3.5Lgth. The Radius on the Base I roughed with a 3"long .5" Carbide em.left.015 on it then used a boring bar set @ CL of Rad. and finished the rad.when I knew it was on size, i kissed the bottom face .005 and fed the table out and got the face done If you are making this for a 10" lathe you are going to have to keep in mind your C/L of your tools. I had to design the base so that every one of my tools were on C/L. So you will have to do the same...Maybe the 6" style would be the one for you to make....?? Bob

Hi Sam, I made the Cyl-Piston-Spindle-Turret out of steel.The rest out of 6061.
    The Turret is 5.0"O.D.X1.25.
    The Cyl is 4.5"od X 3.125"id X 3.5Lgth. The Radius on the Base I roughed with a 3"long .5" Carbide em.left.015 on it then used a boring bar set @ CL of Rad. and finished the rad.when I knew it was on size, i kissed the bottom face .005 and fed the table out and got the face done If you are making this for a 10" lathe you are going to have to keep in mind your C/L of your tools. I had to design the base so that every one of my tools were on C/L. So you will have to do the same...Maybe the 6" style would be the one for you to make....?? Bob
    Thanks For all the info I will have to research it a little I definitely want to add this to the machine.
    Sam

Page 1 of 2 12