586,290 active members*
3,994 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Uncategorised WoodWorking Machines > ok total newbie question i have looked hard & everywhere for carbon steel

Question ok total newbie question i have looked hard & everywhere for carbon steel

OK i
    ve got the Rockcliff plans ive stared the build i glued drilled & screwed, got the nema 23 equivallent motors but i'm stuck trying to find the 16mm Diameter W16(h6) Straightend and polished - Carbon Steel or equivallent as in my last post ive not got a lot of money (out of work with back injury) so money is tight i found out where to get the bearings (oillite) www.brammer.co.uk if anyone wants any, i have found this other place www.marchantdice.com but the steel from them is a lot more than what i can afford, there price is £85.86 US$175.25 AD$195. for the 6pc's
    so i have look through the post & people are using tube so what can you use

i look forward to your reply because i have a lot to learn & plenty of time to do it?

thanks steve

appears you're in the UK. This may not be applicable, but in the US we buy what is called drill rod from industrial suppliers. I assume you ref 16mm in your post. That would be about 5/8 in inch size. Should be available. enco lists it for $11.21 for 36" length for .6300 inch (which they also call 16mm).

As in the readme file from Rockcliff try
    http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/MSC...gion=UK&Map=UK
    Get a price from them by phone, I have not tried them yet as I have not started the build but my next option after that would be an engineering supplier they are in most city's in the UK
    Jim

thanks for that Jim i will have a look, i have built another type of cnc at the moment that i saw here http://buildyourcnc.com/latest.aspx but will get round 2 finishing my Rockcliff
    thanks again steve happy christmas but a better hogmany

I have not decided what one to go for I want a fairly big one and i like the buildyourcnc one need to finish the CNC mill first though having problems with the servos turinig the correct way.
    unmfortunatly I wont be home for either as I am working away planning and dreaming about what I have to do CNC wise.
    Will miss my Hogmanay though.
    Jim