586,129 active members*
2,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

More Motor Issues

Well, I finished my belt drive and was all set to go crazy, but when I turned my mill on and tried to start the motor i got nothing. I have the power light turn on, and if I manually turn the fault switch it will go yellow and fault. However, I can not get the fault light to turn on like it used to. By that i mean if the forward or reverse switch is turned to either it would fault and the motor wouldnt turn. The potentiometer is going to have to be replaced because I ripped the knob right off the switch, but my question is, if its not the potentiometer what is it? I have a multimeter but dont know where to start testing and what settings I use on the meter. I would like to make this a methodical test where I test each connection first before I decide its the motor and but a replacement from grizzly.

My first bit of advice would be to replace the fuse in the control box, where the pot is. After that check the brushes on the motor, if worn, replace those next After that you might wanna replace the circuit board with this http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...1&item=11-2449

In the middle of all of this, I'd just poke around with that multimeter a bit. Just open up the boxes and touch all the solder points. It could very well be a loose wire. Nothing about the lack of quality on these machines surprises me anymore.