586,667 active members*
3,557 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

R2E3 not accurate

I have an R2E3 and was cutting some abs plastic yesterday. I measured the parts and in the x dimension parts are .01" small inside, Perfect in the Y. So I checked the back lash and re-set that. Re-ran the parts and the same thing. Is there any way to calibrate the Boss8 control or could it be something else?
    Thanks for any Help,
    Cutmore

Series 1 or 2? I remember that the series 2 FMDC had a small piggy back board on it. Maybe at some point it was replaced.
    .010 inches over what distance? If you double that distance, does the error double? Does this happen in rapid or in a feed rate? I have seen encoder couplings loose in the motor, belts worn out, mechanical issues that only show up in rapid, bad encoders that lose count (but then the axis moves further), etc. There is not a provision for pitch error compensation. Only backlash.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

George,
    Thanks for the reply,
    Mine is a Series2.
    The .01" was over less than an inch. Last night I looked at the cad file the customer sent me too. The dxf file was not right. It was accurate in the y direction but when you checked dims in the x it was wrong. I re-drew the file last night and am waiting for more .020" end mills to try again tonight.
    I will take my 24" digital calipers and check the travel with those, but I suspect it was mainly operator error as usual, no fault of Bport.

What does the piggyback board on the FMDC do?

George,
    Thank you for your help, I appreciate having you here to support my baby, and I am sure others appreciate it too.

Cutmore

hehe.. I've not known my r2v3 boss 10 machine to lie yet. Acutally I've found it to be extreemly accurate compaired to my other cnc mill (converted round pole mill) Accurate enough that I'm not gooing to argue anyway.

How ever I've had errors show up in parts which trace back to some how a hole or vector in a drawing look like it's still in the same place I left it how ever if you did an xy on it fine that it is .001 or what ever off but could not see in the drawing/screen. Very anoying but at some point the hole got selected and moved maybe bumped with mouse or arrow key when selected.

b.