586,106 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Lathemaster ZAY Looses Magic Smoke in Motor

Smile Lathemaster ZAY Looses Magic Smoke in Motor

Help. Title says it all. Ran a part for about an hour and all at once, the smoke leaked out of the motor. So, can someone help with a replacement motor part number. I went to the industrial hobbies site who use to list the part numbers but they now only provide replacement services. Can't blame them, they have to make a living. But, wish I had printed that out when Aaron still had the site.
    What I would like is the (I believe) Leeson part number for the 3000rpm motor and VFD.
    Anyway, any help will be appreciated!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Anyone???
    Bill
    billyjack

bill,

i use d a 56c motor on mine with a special sleeve and an adapter plate. i got the motor off ebay and it works just fine. 3hp motor btw.

Have you called Bob at lathemaster? He prob has the info.

Call Leeson.
    Many manfacturers make special motors rated for VFD use. There may only be one in your size and speed range.
    Isn't there a plate on your motor? The numbers on the motor plate should identify it.

Hey Guys;
    Me again!! Well, the project for motor replacement is proceeding. Purchased a Leeson motor and a Hitachi VFD. Installing everything this weekend. Had to cut the shaft on the 2HP, 3 phase, 3450 rpm motor turned town to 3/4 inch but that was the only hassle so far. I'm going to mount the new motor, drain all the old oil out and replenish with a lighter oil for the gearhead. I'll posts pix's after I finished. Couple of notes!
    Contacted Bob and a replacement chineese motor was $200 but I was afraid of the quality. Magic smoke seems to leak out easily. Sooooo, went the 3 phase leeson way. As far as a VFD compatible motor, well, they were 3X the price of the regular motor. I know that was a good investment but I just ran out of funds. I did purchase a 3hp VFD for the 2 hp motor so I do feel a bit better. Hope I didn't screw up!!
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Bill
    billyjack

I don't blame you for dumping the chinese motor, my experience is they have not mastered the art of motor manufacturing yet.
    BTW, many older mills that used Gear oil such as hypoy 90 etc, now recommend going over to Transmission fluid, I have done that on a couple of Excello's with no bad effects yet.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

VFD Conversion Complete

Well, the conversoin is done and it works wonderfully. Hitachi 200 VFD (3 hp model), 2 Hp Leeson, 3 phase, 3450 RPM motor and Cnc for PC speed controller. The only problem I had was with the speed controller interface which had a slight output with no signal, thus would not competely stop the spindle. I must have zapped something when installing it! Art sent me a new one which is performing flawless without any hassles at all. Man I sure do wish all my purchases were supported as well. Thanks Art, money well spent and I assure you, as new projects develope, Cnc4pc will be my first choice for cnc components.
    I'll attach some pix to show the new VFD and motor.
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PixforRon1.jpg   pixforRon2.jpg   PixforRon3.jpg  
    billyjack

Hey Bill, What spindle rpm does that take you up to? What ballscrews and servos and controls do you have on your machine? Thanks, Dave

Hey Dave;
    I now have a spindle speed of 3500 rpm with light oil. The mill design was a fleaybay bit and piece with electrocraft servos, and ballscrews from mcmaster carr with 2 ballnuts on each drive. I use gecko drives and built the controls myself with cnc4pc components in an enclosure built by Mike Laws (hey mike). And of course, mach 3 software.
    If you need specifics, let me know.
    Bill
    billyjack

So you are using Gecko G320s? What about a breakout board or interface cards for the geckos? Thanks, Dave

Hey Dave;
    Yes, gecko 320's are my drivers. My interface and ancillary controls are cnc4pc. Art does a hell of a job at a reasonable price and excellent service.
    Bill
    billyjack

Bill,
    Tell me about that power drawbar, did you design your own or did you order plans? Seems like Bob Warfield made one from plans from someone. (Thinking of Bob, I haven't heard anything from Bob lately, is he still on the zone?) Any way, the setup yhat he made called for a harbor freight impact wrench (I like some of the HF stuff I've got a HF store 15 miles down the road).

Anyway good show.

Take care,

Ron