I have a 1997 3 axis cnc knee mill with a 1997 M60 centroid old DOS based control. The machine runs ok but I would like to Upgrade the control with newer linux based centroid control. Not an expert but I guess I feel linux is better and also I like the idea of having a thumb drive than a floppy and also a newer computer than the old 486. I searched the internet for upgrading an old centroid with a new one and found a company called CNC in Motion in CA is the only centroid dealer offering the option.
Quote 2 on their web page: $2150 for the computer; $100 for thumb drive and $750 plus labor for their technician to transfer the old computer file to the new computer.
I live too far away from them so I was thinking of buying the upgrade and do it myself. Has anybody done this upgrade and dealt with this company before? How is the support?
I am not in business and just a hobby machinist. My budget is limited, it will be tight but I can probably come up with the $2150 for the computer and $100 for the thumb drive plus a $750 (core) refundable. I would like to buy the upgrade but I am worried there might be a hidden cost after the $2250. I never seen or heard any bad report about this company but have read about other dealers that gives you a deal and suddenly balloons the price twice after you buy the upgrade.
I am also considering the option of upgrading to Mach 3 because it is a lot cheaper and almost free but I am leaning more toward centroid because I have used it before. It will cost some money but I know it works.
Any advice is appreciated!

S76tools