586,138 active members*
3,528 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > L297 bipolar using mosfets instead of L298?

L297 bipolar using mosfets instead of L298?

Hello all,

I'm a user of PMInMO's L297-8 driver board- they do work great but generate a lot of heat at the current I'm running them. I'm aggressively cooling them each with giant pentium II processor heatsinks with forced air cooling.

The L297 seems to be a great, easy to use chip if 1/2 step is enough for you.

I think a fantastic improvement would be the 297 combined with ultra-low Rds(on) power mosfets configured in a bipolar H-Bridge- specifically bipolar for performance.

Any existing designs around there? I've seen the unipolar equivalent of this, but not a bipolar design.

Also, on my current L297-8 drives there's a noticeable high pitched squeal from the motors. I assume this is the chopper circuit. is this normal?

Thanks,
    Brent

thank you

me too, i need something similar.

I make a driver with l297 and two L6203. You can find it around internet. Bipolar configuration an currents up tu 4A per phase.

thanks for your reply but, i need a bipolar driver more than 5 A, 4 A is not enough for me, there are unipolar & MOSFET designs arround, but i couldnt find MOSFET for bipolar design.. is there anyone can help me about it ?

I am amazed that this place continues to flourish.

Let me explain.

Someone asks a question about a driver schematic they are looking for and people respond with nonsense.

Yes, nonsense, at no time did anyone respond to this thread providing such a schematic.

Someone suggested they built something but offered no schematic or details so you have to conclude the responder is wasting peoples time.

I have for several weeks posted questions in different threads and also creating new threads only to get no responses.

For the majority of people, this can be attributed to "once a user gets what they need they don't care to help anyone else".

I am prepared to help but reinventing the wheel prevents me from contributing.

If someone would just provide a decent circuit that has features and functionality then I am prepared to go the extra mile to make sure that everyone and anyone can get it and build it without pulling their hair out.

Sadly, I suspect there are very few people here with the skills (or interest) to help anyone and being told to google anything is nothing more than a joke and the person offering this suggestion should hang themselves for the betterment of this community because the suggestion doesn't help.

20A Unipolar stepper driver (Unipolar)
    "20A Unipolar Stepper Driver"
    My two cents worth buy a gecko drive and save your time ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by hesham morsy View Post
    20A Unipolar stepper driver (Unipolar)
    "20A Unipolar Stepper Driver"
    My two cents worth buy a gecko drive and save your time ;-)
    A decent contribution for the unipolar users and as noted in the documentation is a basic circuit that shouldn't be too difficult to add functionality.

The schematic is destroyed (I loaded both PDF files) because someone saw fit to convert it from it's original format sacrificing resolution.

Suggesting people buy a gecko drive is lazy advice and a shameful plug, I've looked at gecko drives and was disappointed by the lack of features versus cost.

Unfortunately most people are using bipolar stepper motors so this solution doesn't benefit them however, it does give hope.