587,040 active members*
2,853 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New to Fanuc

New to Fanuc

HI All,

I am new to G code and Fanuc Oi (Sharp 2412 VMC) controllers. Learning both at the moment. Does anyone know of a source for learning other than the manual that came with the machine? I have been reading the manual for sometime and find it very difficult to follow.
    I would even be happy to find an overview of the basic stuff like brining up programs, changing origins, writing programs on the computer and transferring files, and that sort of thing.
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Larry

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Everybody finds the fanuc manuals hard to understand .
    I like the 2nd edition cnc programing hand book by Peter Smid.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...o.x=16&Go.y=17
    Tim

New to Fanuc

Thanks guys,

I just looked into both. I see that the 3rd edition of Peter Smids book is due out next month. Sounds like I need that book.

I believe that from what I have seen so far, the Sharp VMC and Fanuc controller is a good one. I just wish they had formatted the manual a bit better. I find the simplest things like setting the coordinate system nearly impossible to understand from the Fanuc manual.

I was reading the translated Sharp machine manual. I can see that some computer program translated it from Chinese to English. As such, there is a lot of humor due to translational errors. In one warning it says that if an operator falls into the running machine, his best friend should pull him out through the window…. Hum…. Hope I don’t fall in.
    Well again, my thanks!

Larry

Check out Mike Lynch's website at www.cncci.com . Mike is the tech editor for Modern Machine Shop magazine, and he has a lot of training courses and learning aids available.

I have the Sharp with the Fanuc 0iMateMB and the manual really is bad. Kind of reminds me of router programming from about 15 years ago - very powerful but not at all friendly. If you can tell me what you are having problems with I will try to give you an example fix.

New to Fanuc

Hi Mickey D

Thanks for the offer. Right now I am studying a ton of other material and then trying to find the same topic in the Fanuc manual. So far, so good however even finding the topic in the Fanuc manual is quite frustrating. It’s the worst I have ever read.
    I have actually written 3 programs so far and they have all worked after seeing the errors of my inexperienced ways.

One issue is the cutter comp settings in OFFSET. It calls for D (diameter) however that doesn't work. I need to put R instead. Then it works. Any ideas why?

Maybe you can tell me if there is a function that states run time for a given program. I thought there is however I can not seem to find it. Thanks again!

Larry

One issue is the cutter comp settings in OFFSET. It calls for D (diameter) however that doesn't work. I need to put R instead. Then it works. Any ideas why?

Thats just Fanuc.

Maybe you can tell me if there is a function that states run time for a given program. I thought there is however I can not seem to find it. Thanks again!

You can push the POS (position) key while the machine
    is cutting in there is a counter giving cycle time
    and part count .
    Tim

Is this control the 0i-mc? If so does it have manual guidei? If so I may be able to answer some questions for ya as that is the control that I am currently running.