586,500 active members*
1,668 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Purchased aluminum, sent wrong size, too big, now what?

Purchased aluminum, sent wrong size, too big, now what?

I just purchased a piece of aluminum for use as a fixture plate and an enclosure for flood cooling. I know the enclosure for flood cooling sounds a bit unusual but I think it will work with some ideas from here. But let me get to my point. I ordered a piece from a store on ebay that I wanted cut to order. The size I needed was 11 by 18 with flat sides which are the dimension of the fixture plate. Which would be just the right size for me to mill. Instead of those dimension I have a piece that is 11.5 by 24ish. All sides are cut very ragged and not even remotely flat or straight. My cutting dimension are 6 by 15ish for y and x. The z is about 12.5 with the endmill holder. With the vise to hold the piece so I could maybe fix the one side it is too high so I cant. I dont have any other way to hold the piece to the table firmly enough to make it worthwhile. Forget the 24ish side, my mill would never be big enough to fit it under the spindle. Soo, does anybody have any suggestions. I know I can get those 90 angle plates and clamps to hold the piece but I dont have the money and I dont know how to move the piece over so I could machine the other half. Any suggestions would be helpful, Especially about moving the part, because I would have to do that anyways to make the fixture plate.

you could use a table saw equiped with a carbide blade if you had one or knew anyone that did.

chris.
    "you don't even need cnc if your handy with a torch"

Scribe some lines just a bit over the finished size.
    Cut with a saber saw.
    Bench vise a strait edge a machinist square, and a good file.
    Do some searches and learn a bit about using a file.
    Chapters 25, 26, and 27 should be a good start.
    http://digital.lib.msu.edu/collectio...fm?TitleID=367

What every chip sweeper needs to know to become and apprentice.