586,988 active members*
3,874 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > 5 phase 10 wire stepper with 5 Wire Pentagon drivers

Threaded View

Question 5 phase 10 wire stepper with 5 Wire Pentagon drivers

Dear all,
    I'm happy to be here (this is my first topic):

i have a stepper motor VRDM 564/50 LNB (10 wire 5 phase stepper motor), which i want to use with my new build of a cnc device.
    i bought a stepper driver (Cloudray 5DM422) which is only usable in pentagon configuration.
    i tried to use the pentagon configuration just by combining 2 wires of different phases togehter (cable numbers 0/1; 2/3; 4/5; 6/7; 8/9 - see the attached image of Berger Lahr 5 phase stepper motor)
    if i do so i and i do connect each cable pair to the pentagon stepper driver to the inputs A-E, i really get no movement and no torque...

By trying different direction combinations (e.g. using cable numbers 1/9 instead of 1/0 to swap current direction through the coil) i get now a realitvely nice movement.
    In single step movement i checked if i'm loosing steps, this does not seem to happen, but the torque is varying (and probably to less) in single step movement (torque in stop state seems to be fine)... and there is another problem: if i connnect the last cable to the pentagon driver (pin 3 is not connected at the moment) nothing moves anymore...

How can i double check if my directs of single connections are right? is there a fundamental problem while trying 10 wire 5 phase stepper to pentagon configuration?

My idea for double checking was to measure the voltage of stepper driver outputs (A-E) for 10 single steps and then calculate the voltage difference i got for every motor coil to get a better idea of whats happening here... is this a good idea or is there a better solution for the problem?

i just attached all the datasheets and stuff i found.

Thanks a lot for any help
    Best,
    Pascal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PentagonConf.jpg   Screenshot 2023-01-13 154152.jpg   Screenshot 2023-01-13 154214.jpg