586,307 active members*
3,434 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > Solid modeling in autocad

Solid modeling in autocad

O.K. this is kind of a general question.
    I run autocad, and design progressive dies with it.
    We have not been very happy with the ease of modeling i.e. surfaces etc.
    The surfacing we do only amounts to about 5 to 10% of the job, so it is usually not that big of a deal.
    But we want to improve, and are looking for a better way.

Does anyone know of a good add in for solid modeling with autocad?
    or maybe even a solid modeling package other than autocad, just to do the modeling, then import back into autocad?

How does Inventor stack up in terms of ease of use for modeling?

Thanks to all! :rainfro:

solidworks is a very good solid modeling program. I use Autocad and solidworks both and solidworks is way better in for modeling.

I've never used Solidworks, so can't compare them, but I do use Inventor and find it extremely easy for modeling. Have not done any surface work with it though. I would think the integration with autocad is going to be more direct as well, but cant comment on that either. I guess I shouldn't even have replied to this question then...LOL(nuts)

Take a look at AutoDesk's Inventor...

AutoDesk Inventor, Solidworks and ProE Wildfire are all variations on the same theme, with the user interface varying a little bit. I've used them all in a professional environment and you can't go wrong with either one. If you already have alot of files in AutoCAD then Inventor would most likely be the logical choice for you.
    I will say that Autodesk does make the best "DRAFTING" programs, as it allows you total control over the appearance of the drawings and layouts are just such a breeze without having to worry about constraints holding your imagination back. If you're used to AutoCAD 3D you will find any of the hardcore solid modeling programs very constrictive at first. Once you get used to working in the parameters of a modeling program you will wonder how you did without it before.
    Jim

Hi,

I´m use Autodesk Inventor (solid modeling) + Rhinoceros (surface), is excelent this combinated. Too Solidworks + Rhinoceros, es very good. Only I use Autocad for drawing in 2D.

Best regards.

If you want to try Inventor there is currently an offer from Autodesk that allows you to download a free copy of Inventor LT, the licence runs until May 2008. It does not allow you to create assemblys, only single parts.
    Great little program to use and fairly easy to pickup and run with.

Cam