586,156 active members*
3,847 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anyone ever laser-cut fabric?

I'm experimenting with some concepts for a machine to cut fabric, specifically for clothing, and I was curious to learn more about the use of lasers for this purpose. I know that I've seen clothing made with laser-cut fabrics, namely synthetics, where it leaves a very distinctive kind of edge.

I was curious if it can be used more generally, i.e., with non-synthetic materials as well, and what sort of power levels are required. My main line of investigation right now is with the use of a rotary blade cutter, but a laser would be nicer in theory because you wouldn't have to worry about tangent cutting, lead-in/out cuts, blade dulling, etc. That's assuming it doesn't just light it on fire I've heard about using waterjets for this but I'm looking for a process that works better at a smaller scale.

Look for a magazine called "Bobbin" That is the trade journal for the sewn products industry. I have been to trade shows in years past where companies were demonstrating their lasers cutting fabric. I would assume they advertise in "Bobbin".

Thanks for the tip. I spent some time searching online and it feels like that magazine is DOA. I will keep looking though!

I have cut denim, fleece, and cotton fabrics, automobile carpet, as well as leather. Fleece also will engrave beautifully.

I have just finished building a 30 watt laser and it cuts denim pretty sweetly but I would try to go 60 watt or more if you want speed and clean cutting, but only if you can afford it. Air assist is essential for blowing out the flame from cutting and also for keeping the lens clean. Don't get a laser without it. Also fume extraction would be a good thing too.
    The more power you have the more layers of fabric you could cut but not if it's rayon or nylon as I think it would fuse together after cutting.
    Hope I am of some help
    Rich.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.