586,850 active members*
2,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Huanyang VFD speed control

Huanyang VFD speed control

Hi team,

Having trouble getting my Huanyang VFD to work with a speed control pot. It was running fine with Mach3 control but that PC died and now i want to use an Arduino. Until my 5v to 10v amplified board gets here I thought I'd try using a pot to adjust speed as a preliminary to the 0-10v control from the Arduino.

I connected the pot to the terminals as shown in the manual and several posts online, changed PD002 to 1 which is remote pot, moved the jumper as instructed but its not working correctly.
    When i hit the run button the motor runs up to 7200 rpm but won't change with the control pot, even though the voltage across it changes (measured with DVM) . One interesting point is that if you hit the run button with the pot turned right down the motor won't start until you turn it to around half way, so it must need some voltage to trigger the start process.

There must be another PD setting I'm missing.

Love to get your guys thoughts as I'm getting a bit frustrated!

Cheers Dave

Re: Huanyang VFD speed control

Quote Originally Posted by 4lowie View Post
    Hi team,

Having trouble getting my Huanyang VFD to work with a speed control pot. It was running fine with Mach3 control but that PC died and now i want to use an Arduino. Until my 5v to 10v amplified board gets here I thought I'd try using a pot to adjust speed as a preliminary to the 0-10v control from the Arduino.

I connected the pot to the terminals as shown in the manual and several posts online, changed PD002 to 1 which is remote pot, moved the jumper as instructed but its not working correctly.
    When i hit the run button the motor runs up to 7200 rpm but won't change with the control pot, even though the voltage across it changes (measured with DVM) . One interesting point is that if you hit the run button with the pot turned right down the motor won't start until you turn it to around half way, so it must need some voltage to trigger the start process.

There must be another PD setting I'm missing.

Love to get your guys thoughts as I'm getting a bit frustrated!

Cheers Dave
    Does your VFD have a Pot with the KeyPad most do if so, this is what to use when using the KeyPad

Yes, that may not work as you are not in full remote control, do the arrow keys on the Keypad change the speed try up / down on the arrow keys

If you have 0-5v Analog output from the Arduino, that is all you need to control the VFD Drive for speed control, you don't need to have a 0-10v analog supply to control the speed with this VFD Drive

7200 is your minimum speed so we know that Parameter is set correct, you may have the remote Pot wired incorrect, how have you wire it??
    Mactec54

Thanks Mactec

My VFD doesn't have the adjuster pot, when in manual control the up down arrows can be used to change the speed. Previously under mach3 control the speed was adjusted via RS485 and worked well.
    I have connected the 5v from the arduino to the G540 and get 0-10v output from that which is feed to the VFD, this changes as it should based on the RPM requirement so no issues there.
    As for the pot, one side to 10v, other side to ACM and wiper to VI, simple voltage divider so not too much you can wrong there. Even feed 0-10v directly into ACM and VI, same deal, spindle starts but only goes to 7200 with no control.

Must be a simple parameter setting somewhere.....

Cheers Dave

Thanks Mactec

My VFD doesn't have the adjuster pot, when in manual control the up down arrows can be used to change the speed. Previously under mach3 control the speed was adjusted via RS485 and worked well.
    I have connected the 5v from the arduino to the G540 and get 0-10v output from that which is feed to the VFD, this changes as it should based on the RPM requirement so no issues there.
    As for the pot, one side to 10v, other side to ACM and wiper to VI, simple voltage divider so not too much you can wrong there. Even feed 0-10v directly into ACM and VI, same deal, spindle starts but only goes to 7200 with no control.

Must be a simple parameter setting somewhere.....

Cheers Dave
    No, you have it wired incorrect

You can't use the 0-10v supply you have for the Pot like that, you need to take the VFD Drives 10v output and use that to the input of the Pot the rest would stay wired the same

Thats unusual that your Huayang does not have a built in Pot it is either very old or one of the copies

The spindle starts ok, but do the arrow Keys work this will tell me if you have a Parameter that needs to be changed
    Mactec54

Success!!!!

I reloaded the parameters and compared mine to others listed online, one difference I found was my acceleration time was set at 20 where others had 10. This for some reason changed things and it worked!!! Have no idea how acceleration time would influence this..

Once I got it to start and run up to the correct RPM I found it wouldn't stop, would wind down to the 7200 but not right off. Remembered a comment about the minimum RPM so I changed this to zero and shuts off completely now. Everything seams ok, starts and ramps to the selected RPM then shuts off when requested.

Only thing I'm unsure about is leaving the ACM-FRD connected as I haven't figured out the correct pin on my Arduino yet to put a relay on this. Currently the choice is to leave it hard wired or hit the run button just before my gcode requests a start.

Hope this might help others as it had me pretty frustrated for a while..

Cheers

Success!!!!

I reloaded the parameters and compared mine to others listed online, one difference I found was my acceleration time was set at 20 where others had 10. This for some reason changed things and it worked!!! Have no idea how acceleration time would influence this..

Once I got it to start and run up to the correct RPM I found it wouldn't stop, would wind down to the 7200 but not right off. Remembered a comment about the minimum RPM so I changed this to zero and shuts off completely now. Everything seams ok, starts and ramps to the selected RPM then shuts off when requested.

Only thing I'm unsure about is leaving the ACM-FRD connected as I haven't figured out the correct pin on my Arduino yet to put a relay on this. Currently the choice is to leave it hard wired or hit the run button just before my gcode requests a start.

Hope this might help others as it had me pretty frustrated for a while..

Cheers
    It's not going to help anyone, the Parameters Settings I have posted thousands of times, anything outside of setting these Parameters you may end up with problems either with the VFD Drive or the Spindle

Yes, it is dangerous to use, if you have used a Jumper across that connection

You can't use Zero for the minimum speed setting this can damage your spindle the minimum speed is 100Hz = 6,000 RPM that is why it was set at 120=7200RPM as this is a better minimum speed if you are doing any cutting that slow, you should not be shutting it off with the Pot

You can't use ACM and FWD that is an incorrect connection, you can only use DCM and FWD ACM and DCM are not the same one is for an Analog connection the other is for DC connection

The acceleration is normally set at 8 to start with, most are able to use around 3 to 4, for Acceleration and Deceleration.

Any output from the Arduino that will turn on a relay will work make sure you use a snubber, or you will fry the Arduino if you are using the 540 then that is an easy connection
    Mactec54