586,966 active members*
1,890 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Floppy to USB Emulator for HAAS

Hybrid View

Floppy to USB Emulator for HAAS

Hello,

I have a HAAS XM012 from 1998. Our two 25 pin serial ports on the machine have died, and we need to replace the whole processor board to fix it. We used to use those ports to transfer CNC programs via RS-232 connection.
    Our fix was to purchase a Floppy to USB emulator, which is linked here (https://www.amazon.com/Gotek-SFR1M44...88ZT7J7G&psc=1) and it worked great, for files less than 1.38 MB!

My question for anyone here is this:

Does anyone know if its possible to do something similar like the RS-232 data transfer with a floppy to usb emulator like this? (https://www.amazon.com/Richpeace-SFD.../dp/B07GH1L7Z7). The emulator shown here has RS-485 communications port on it. I attached an image of the purposed wiring I would think I need to use. My idea, is to use that RS-485 communication port on the emulator and terminate the other end using a DB9 configuration, which would go into the source computer sending over the CNC program to the HAAS machine.

Does anyone know if there is a device compatible with this model of HAAS that can achieve this?

Any insight would be much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 36c8f46544da9156cbabbe01ae7375e6.jpg  

Re: Floppy to USB Emulator for HAAS

You might try rs232 to rs 485 converter, there are plenty of them on Amazon. As it’s not about pinout but different logic voltages and speeds of transmission and then it’s questionable how to set it up…
    Good luck

Thanks for the idea. The problem is Rs223 connections no longer work on our HAAS. ):

Hi - Couple things- I've never heard of an XM012 before... what tis this machine? And it might just be easier to repair the CPU board or 232 adapters (if used on this). If it's the standard Haas 90's CPU board with the onboard Async IC... Or it could be the -12 volts on that chip (which is a known issue). What's the general issue with the 232 overall? Have a Pic of the CPU board? On the USB/Floppy- The unit I have in my Haas is limited to a USB partition formatted to only 1.4Mb. The Haas menu (and code) for this interface will read and scan as a floppy. I do not think you would get there trying to pump 232 into the USB port on one of these. (if that is what your suggesting?) but ..trying is part of the fun. Putting USB from 232 into the adapter is just UART and flow-control... the device may accept the data, but it wont know how to read as a file or save to the Haas. For that it wants a file-system based read as a FAT file (if I recall .. getting fuzzy). Keep us posted.

did you happen to see this post?
    EMUFDD 3.0 - Floppy HW Emulator (+USB)
    https://embeddedsw.net/EMUFDD_Floppy...ator_Home.html