Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
So your machine will be shaking in motion reversal due to lack of jerk control.
BUT you can take care of a lot of the harsh motion with better paths. I do not know what sprutcam's features are, but in Fusion 360 you would use adaptive clearing paths, and filleting of sharp corners. This will take care of 80% of the harsh motion. The rest you kinda have to live with, but it hopefully wont be very bad.
Sprutcam has a number of ways to perform high speed machining. They can be use on router format projects. Most strategies involve path loops as you describe above. Those often work great on mills and smooth out the operation path changes.
The problem with routers is your often using sheet goods with parts nested Close together with little or no room for fileted or looping direction changes. I could have used the looping or adaptive abilities to smooth out this particular project because it was made from sized stock with plenty of room on all sides. The pockets could also have been smoothed out using same. It does add a lot more tool paths and air cutting during direction changes. As I mentioned above I was kind of wanting the ability to just slow down by % before a direction change. Just a more simple to use with simple tool paths and not all the crazy looping tool paths. I have seen routers cutting at 200 ipm down a 8ft long sheet then slow down and change directions and then ramp back up for the next long cut. Not clear if it was the machine or cam in control of this. I assumed it was the cam. But reading peteeng and mactecs many posts on this forum has made me wonder what it takes

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
Hi MDew - All the systems you use are good quality commercial systems and should work well. My first impression is to check the machine mechanics. Second is to send a sample code to strutcam and let them comment. Does the glitch show up in a toolpath simulation?

Ironcad - solid commercial CAD. I assume you use a step file to transfer to sprutcam. This should be a high quality transfer of geometry. I have had issues with the export displacing objects but this is immediately apparent.
Sprutcam - I've spoken to the local agent today about the robot OLP. The 3 axis mill program is high quality so should behave properly. I suspect its a machine looseness. But check with Sprut about the glitch
Pathpilot - again solid commercial MC so unless set up totally wrong should be fine
Tormach router - solid commercial machine - check mechanicals

thanks for contributing - Peter
It is a good combo of software for cad cam and control. The very reason I use it. I have a mill, router and lathe that all use the same cam and control software. They all share a similar work flow. I cant say it is super easy to do what I show above. It is for me but I have used the same software for many years. It helps big time.
I read and look at what you and others are up to and always find something to learn and apply. This topic being one of the things I see and never really figured out very good consistent methods to control it. In fact its very new to me because until I started using a CNC router I never run programs at 180ipm. My mill has rapids at half that speed and cuts at 40 ipm max most the time. So machine jerking around has never been a problem I had to deal with.
Anyway I must thank everyone on these forums. I learn so much from the people on this site. As mostly a machine user I find it still helps to read and understand what the builders are doing and how they attack their machine designs.