586,410 active members*
3,006 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Error adding fillet "Couldnt add entity"
Page 1 of 2 12

Error adding fillet "Couldnt add entity"

What could be the case of this and is their a quick solution? I have two large radiuses coming together to for a point. I want to add a fillet of .2rad and it keeps coming back with error "Couldnt add entity" on ver 17. Ver 19,20 and 21 wont add the entity. IT seems like it will only choose one or the other line but not both....

hewp

I even took the entity and copied and pasted onto a new file and still couldnt add the fillet. Wierd!

Check that all entities lie flat in one plane. Check that there are no overlapping double entities.

Other than that, export the file and post up a dxf for people to toy with.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I dont have a way to host the .dxf. All the layers are Z=0 and their are no doubles. It seems when I save a file and try to add more later the original file is not compliant with the secondary ops as far as trimming, fillets ect. I dont know what the issue could be

Here are *some troubled areas
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yep tried it from this file and still has the issues. Very peculiar!

The lines that you drew were at an angle relative to the Z axis, meaning they are 3D. The fillet function will only work for 2D geometry.

Try re-drawing the lines, or project them to Z0. Then do the fillet.

Regards

All the lines are in the same plane. Even a copy and paste wont work. Its very strange. Try downloading the .dxf I posted and you will see the issue at hand.

Ah, but I did download the file.

Do this:
    Turn 3D on (if it isn't already).
    Select the two lines.
    Click on Special/NC-CAM and then Verify. Note the values displayed in the Z Bounds fields. One of them is 0 and the other is -.0006 to -.0008. This is why the fillet won't work.

If you are working in 2D mode, you still have to pay attention to some of the input fields for the functions you use, because they store the values even when not in 3D. I have seen this catch more than one person in my time.

I always suggest, for 2D design, to work in 3D from a top view, in BobCAD, just to make sure you are not inadvertently creating 3D entities.

Regards

I knew it was probly someting stupid simple. Now how do I promote all the lower lines to Z=0 without having to redraw them all. Is their a way to mass modify?

Here's the file with the change and fillets added.

Regards
    Attached Files Attached Files

TheOne thank you but that was a sample of a part with thousands of entities and more than half are in the wrong plane. I can select the layer but cant seem to find out where it is in Z compared to the other layers and modify it.

You can use the Project function, but I would not apply this to arcs unless your intent is to engrave them in 3D onto something, as this will convert them to lines segments.

With nothing selected go to 3D and click on Set Surface and then Planar.
    Select just your lines.
    Click on 3D and then Projectiion.
    The default values should work fine for lines, so just click OK. It will then be done.

Regards

Yes that did!

Thank you

If you do project arcs then use a very close tolerance and then you can use the optimize option.

Actually it made it worse. now the whole program is in segments of .0001 instead of actual radius numbers

So how do I take it all and project it into one plane without making it a .0001 toolpath?

Ok so here is what I did.

Since it was lower than the newer parts it must have 2 layers. I took one of the layers and after decifering it was .0008 in Z. I "translated" the first layer .008+ which gaveme Z=0. Now I can modify all I need to

FWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW

Did you try "select all" and then the "move to Z" function? It might not be technically as correct as projecting onto a planar surface, but it might get you going with less head scratching
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

BUT now I have a few that start at .0001 and end at .0007...will the madness end.

Page 1 of 2 12