586,929 active members*
2,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

Hybrid View

Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I would like a vcarve type program more focused on router projects but its not in budget yet.

Anyway what do you use or like?
    I use Alibre CAD for paid work and the free version of Onshape for hobby work. I use SprutCAM for, uh, CAM but have a paid version of F360 which I don't like to use but may need for 5-axis work if I ever get a 5-axis mill. I need to upgrade to SC 15, but have been putting it off until some rework of SC14 projects are finished. I just bought a Micro-Arc so should be starting to do some 4th axis work in SC 14.

V-Carve is supposed to be almost a standard for CNC routers from what I've heard.

I've used VCarve for years on my 770. Yes, it is really oriented towards fancy signs and such but if you import a .DXF prepared in other CAD products it works great for 2.5d jobs. I am less than thrilled with its 4th axis support. And, sadly, it lacks anything HSM related. It does do thread milling. The good news is that you actually purchase the product (not a monthly/yearly rental) so you can skip upgrades if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I use Alibre CAD for paid work and the free version of Onshape for hobby work. I use SprutCAM for, uh, CAM but have a paid version of F360 which I don't like to use but may need for 5-axis work if I ever get a 5-axis mill. I need to upgrade to SC 15, but have been putting it off until some rework of SC14 projects are finished. I just bought a Micro-Arc so should be starting to do some 4th axis work in SC 14.

V-Carve is supposed to be almost a standard for CNC routers from what I've heard.
    Oh nice, 4-5 axis machine. I uploaded a model for a small tomb stone a couple years ago to grabcad. I was told by a few people they use it or some version of it on micro arcs

I figured I was about the only user of sprutcam these days. Looks like V15 they added ability to do multi fixture, multi offset, multi operation setups. Looks easy to use and setup. This was something I had done for years but it takes big time skill and it was still hard to do. I requested this feature a couple times over the years but figured nobody even read the request. ??. Also 3d drawing of simple models was added.
    Anyway I was told I'm the only user of sprutcam to drive 8l lathe and 24r router. And for most part I get great results on all 3 machines. Just have to know your way around that software or it can be frustrating.

Oh nice, 4-5 axis machine. I uploaded a model for a small tomb stone a couple years ago to grabcad. I was told by a few people they use it or some version of it on micro arcs

I figured I was about the only user of sprutcam these days. Looks like V15 they added ability to do multi fixture, multi offset, multi operation setups. Looks easy to use and setup. This was something I had done for years but it takes big time skill and it was still hard to do. I requested this feature a couple times over the years but figured nobody even read the request. ??. Also 3d drawing of simple models was added.
    Anyway I was told I'm the only user of sprutcam to drive 8l lathe and 24r router. And for most part I get great results on all 3 machines. Just have to know your way around that software or it can be frustrating.

Oops I ment to say pocket nc not micro arc for the small tomb stone

Mountaindew,

I also continue to use SprutCam, although I have not upgraded in a few years......

Robert

Oops I ment to say pocket nc not micro arc for the small tomb stone
    I'd wondered if that's what you'd meant.