586,438 active members*
4,051 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: dual screens

dual screens

Hello every one,
    I was wondering if it was possible to work with dual monitors in solid works. The only option I can find is view port, witch seems only to work on one screen. When I go to drag it across, the window stops at the edge of the screen.
    Thanks in advance

Dual Screens

I use dual screens in solid works and it doesn't seem to be a problem (HP Pavillion laptop, and external monitor). I put my tools on one and drawing on the other. Most compatibility issues will be with your graphics card/settings.
    Star SR20RII/Fanuc 18i, DMG CTX310V4/Fanuc 32i, DMG CTX310ECO/Siemens 8400, Mori NV5000/MAPS, Bridgeport 760/Fanuc 18i, Kiamaster 4NEII60/Fanuc 3t;Partmaker, Gibbscam

dual screens work here with no problem either and make everything so much better

Tool bars seem to be no problem. I seem to run into problems when I want to references from say an assemble on one screen, and draw a new part on the other screen. Or say two parts open on two separate screens .I just can't figure how to get the second screen to display. I have a pretty reliable system, so I'm sure it's me. This is a quick run down of what I have.

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

No details available
    Processor a

Main Circuit Board b

2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5W64 WS Pro Rev 1.xx

Memory Modules c,d
    500.08 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    452.93 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H50N [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST3250620AS [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 1
    ST3250620AS [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0

3072 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB (serial number SerNum0)
    Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB

Graphic card NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI [Display adapter]
    Default Monitor (2x)
    LGE L1900J [Monitor] (19.1"vis, January 2007) (2x)

If anyone knows of something on the tool bar or if it's a setting with the graphics card, I would really appreciate the help. Thanks for the response so far.

Ok, now i see what you want to do. If I remember correctly i have seen a guy install SolidWorks twice. The only thing you abosolutely have to do is install second time into different folder.

Example:

Regular installation directory: C:\Program Files\SolidWorks

Secondary installation directory C:\Program Files\SolidWorks 2007(or any other location/name)

Hope this works for you.

BTW we got same monitors LG 1900(or 1919) I like them a lot, how are they working for you?

well I just found out that my friend had two different versions installed and thats why it worked like that. Not sure if it will still work same way with same versions...

Hey rustamd,
    Thank you for the replies. I will defiantly give that a try, it's a great idea. As far as the monitor goes, I have only had them about two months. But in those two months they have been great, the res is fantastic.

If you click on the "restore down" icon in the upper right of the window you can drag the SolidWorks window across to the other monitor. You can then open up multiple parts or assys and then tile them to fit. This will allow you to use the toolbars and such. I use two (2) 21" Triniton behemoths. I think they weigh like 75# apiece. Holds my desk down....
    Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

Hey jeff,
    Not sure if this is what you mean, but I can't get the model to cross the screen. Here is a very short video on you tube, to show what is happing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNcms5pbA6E

Thanks again for all the help, this is driving me crazy!!

I think this is what ltmquik is saying: instead of maximizing the SW window, sctretch it out to fit two monitors. than you can use both monitors to for solidworks, just tested it and it works ok. You will probably have to repositon the toolbars(i'm used to working in SW on right monitor, and this takes all toolbars to left one).

Quote Originally Posted by rustamd View Post
    I think this is what ltmquik is saying: instead of maximizing the SW window, sctretch it out to fit two monitors. than you can use both monitors to for solidworks, just tested it and it works ok. You will probably have to repositon the toolbars(i'm used to working in SW on right monitor, and this takes all toolbars to left one).
    Yeah exactly. I is the middle button in the far upper right corner. Minimize, restore down, or close. It should have two (2) windows tiled. Just click it so it is one large one and now you should be able to resize the SolidWorks window by dragging the edges.

Make sure that you have checked the window indicating to extend the desktop to the second monitor.
    Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

Thanks guys,

I gave that a try, and it works nicely.