586,485 active members*
2,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

linear bearings question.

would it make sense to make the "bearing blocks" and make another one that fits exactly opposite the ones on the print.... i.e. double up... and pull the two together against the pipe? seems like this would solve alot of problems im having on the y axis... im sure someones tried that... but theres SO many pics around i couldnt find one of this.

Yah that would work. But big question is what is the problem you are having with the Y axis? There might be something else that would be easier to do its hard to say without knowing what problem your having.

im having the usual "not all 4 bearings hit at the same time" problem. i know that can be fixed by shimming, and ill still need to shim it, but im gonna go ahead and try this. seems like it would also fix the problem where its tight when the gantry is at either end but not as tight when its at the middle of the travel. i guess theres really only one way to find out.

Yes this is a common problem and takes a bit to get it all worked out you could try your idea and see what happens I believe by sandwhiching the rail you might find that you bind at the ends and flex in the center but as a friend (who I bounce many ideas off of hes much older than I and has done many things in precision work) tells me well it sounds like it might work but theory is theory if you can do it then do it and see what happens it is not a waste if you learn something. I am currently designing a mod for the jgro and if it works as I believe it will I will post and us the the bearing system on the Joe 2006 I am building. The idea I have is easy to imploment if you have JGRO style bearings which many of the machines around here do.