586,797 active members*
3,521 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Xylotex > Incredible pricing issues

Incredible pricing issues

I wonder how is possible that the Xylotex 3-axis board cost in USA 125 US$ plus 7 US$ shipping, total 132$, and if I want to buy it in Spain from the distributor in UK the cost is 116 UK pound, that is 206 US$. I can understand shipping costs and custom costs, althoug a 56% of increment seems a bit excessive.
    But then, I cannot understand why the base cost in Europe is 94 UK Pound that is 166 US$, when the current cost in USA is 125 US$. Frankly, if every board shipped to Europe cost them 41 US$, there must be better cargo freighters and custom agents.

At some point of the chain they had lost a customer.

Sorry for bothering you guys but this have been make me angry

Fer

I have been very frustrated with the UK prices for many cnc items, including ballscrews which are at least twice the price of the US. Best advice is to try to buy direct from xylotex.com - I have done so in the past, and his service has been excellent.

Thanks Kong, I will try it, but if they have a distributor for Europe I have little hope..

Fer

A supplier in Europe will have other costs than the freight!
    Stock keeping, CE approvals (expensive!), VAT, support.....
    They also have office cost, employees and other costs.

I'm always prepared to pay some premium for local support and not having to wait. But of course there are limits. Try buying one board from USA with freight & insurance to UK. See if you can get a freight agent that can deliver it to you for $41. I'll bet you won't have it next week then.

But I guess you buy your milk from the farmer and your fish on the docks then?
    I see your point, and think the markup may be steep. But if it carry a CE mark I do know what that costs! And I can tell you you need to sell a good number of drives to make that cost invisible to the customer.

I can't agree with ESjavik,
    1. Shipping from US to europe cost some money but from UK to any other EU country cost money as well. Difference is VERY small!
    2. US price at Xilotec also include some tax
    3. CE aprooval does't cost too much. I also produce product that need CE approval and it is not too expensive (if product is ok)
    4. What kind of "local" support you can get if EU distributor is located in UK? I think there is no big difference from where support is comming, UK or US
    5.Office cost.... does Xilotec does't have office cost? Does UK distributor buy at retail price?

Regards,
    Oscar

I too have been frustarted with UK prices and availability. As an example, I recently bought a router from the US, recommended by Kong (cheers mate). Makita RF11-01.

I could have bought an inferior model in th UK, less powerfull and only 3/8 collet. For £249.00 delivered.

I got the RF11-01 including paying $80 shipping, import duty, and I had to pay an extra £10 admin to UPS on top of the import duty. After all that, it came in at £190. Still £60 cheaper that buying a lower spec model in the UK.

Regards Terry.....

sounds to me like someone needs to have a shipping service to europe. I have sold many things on ebay and shipped them to europe without that much cost using the USPS. Something seems wrong. Someone is making some serious cash!!

AJ

Well I guess this is why the Global market is a rapidly evolving environment. If you dont like the local prices then just order your product from a place where it is cheaper.

It comes down to supply and demand. If a local company is charging too much then they will soon get the hint when they find they are losing customers to overseas vendors.

I must say one thing that does worry me about certain hadnycaps that local bussines do have. Any thing that is sold locally has a 10% Goods and services tax attached to it, but if you buy it from overseas, most of the time the products avoid this tax. This isnt fair for local traders.
    Being outside the square !!!