586,401 active members*
2,791 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Alibre Design Expert V10

I purchased Alibre Design Expert during their sale that will include an upgrade to V10 with it's integrated cam system. I've been after them to tell me what it's Cam capabilities will be. They tell me it will be a limited version of Visual Mill 5.0 basic. I contacted Visual Mill to get more specifics on what will be offered. Here's what they said (in a nutshell)
    The cam part of V10 will be a limited (capability wise, no time limit) version of Visual Mill 5.0 basic, it will include) 2 axis profiling, hole making (drilling), deep hole making (peck drilling) 3 axis horizontal roughing, horizontal finishing and parallel finishing. You will be able to select regions, not sure of the creation of regions though, I think you can but I'll have to double check on that.
    No pocketing but you can use the horizontal roughing option for that by defining regions. I then downloaded the Visual Mill 5.0 demo and ran it in basic using only the option that would be available in Alibre and I think they will have a good product for the price. :rainfro: So far I'm impressed with it. I was not at all impressed with Visual Mill 3.0 that came with Alibre, that was a great disappointment/disservice for both company's. It couldn't create regions so you really couldn't do anything with it. I think there "region" is a poly line, if you had another cad system that was capable of creating poly lines it would work.
    Anyway, I have an email off to MecSoft asking about the creation of machining regions in Alibre Cam.
    Dave
    Schneider Machine
    A force of one

My question to MecSoft,

Anita,
    Talk with your tech person yesterday, thanks, he answered most my questions. I forgot to ask him about the creation of regions. Will the version of Alibre Cam be able to create machining regions?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Her reply,

Hello Dave,

Alibre design can create "sketches", which can be used in Alibre Cam for the operations.

The way I understand it is you would create a sketch and use that as your "region" for profiling or you can select surfaces for machining (that's what the tech said yesterday)

I'm looking forward to giving it a shot when it comes out, waiting patiently

Dave
    Schneider Machine
    A force of one

Thanks for following up with MecSoft and posting the results.

I've been using SprutCAM, but have been thinking about trying out Visual Mill and didn't want to be contrained by a time limit so Alibre CAM seems like a good way to get a feel for the program. Did Mecsoft give you any idea on what it might cost to upgrade to the full retail version?

Mike

No, they didn't. I'm not sure how it's all going to work out. They did say there might be a possibility of a reduced cost for an upgrade for more functionality. I'm wondering if the Cam part will run within the open Alibre window or if it will start another application like Visual Mill 3.0 does now. Alibre cam will not have any time limit in V10.
    Dave
    Schneider Machine
    A force of one

Dave,

The SprutCAM add-in for Alibre opens SprutCAM and automatically transports the part ready to start CAM operations and that's a really nice feature. I'd disappointed if Alibre CAM Alibre CAM doesn't have the same feature. In a month or so we'll find out.

Mike

It will count on what machine capabilities you need. With a limited program addon it will provide a good starting point or even be good for the home user. For larger companies it may not be enough to provide a full time solution.

When it comes out then we will see what is available but there will most likely upgrade options for a full version addon.

I have been hearing great things about Alibre V10. Some of the new features are so good they are hard to believe. I was told under the strictest confidence so I can't spill the beans, but users will be amazed.

I'm actually considering the Expert Purchase. It looks like a very good deal with parametric power to boot.

Cheers!!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I have had Alibre since version 7. I was not a fan of the limited time software bundle then and I still don't think certain software should be bundled with it. I think that Alibre is trying to get involved in something they are not prepared to deal with. Who will you contact for support of AlibreCam? Alibre or Mecsoft? I wish that Alibre would put emphasis on the modeling/drawing instead of a limited functioning add on.

Toby,
    I've been trying to get as much info as I can, I purchased it hoping the V10 version would be as good as they said, I can't wait. even if the cam portion is limited in functionality it don't matter, I was looking for 3 axis surfacing as the cam I have is expensive upgrade to the next level (Multi surface machining) so for a grand I got parametric modeling (solid upgrade in current cam is a grand also) plus I get 3d surfacing in Alibre Cam (horizontal roughing, horizontal finishing and parallel finishing) it's a win win for me. I was impressed when I called Matt at Alibre, he answered my questions and also did a conference call will MecSoft to answer more of my questions, kudos to Matt I say
    So, who you been talking to eh?
    Dave
    Schneider Machine
    A force of one

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1 View Post
    So, who you been talking to eh?
    Dave
    I can't say exactly, but can say that he is a Beta Tester and Power user. He roams these Forums too.

I have been using BCC V17-V21 for all of the work I do and just started using V2007. The new Machining options are great so I hear you on the Alibre Virtual Mill Module.

I imagine that 90% of all the CAD Companies will be doing the same thing soon.

Have a good one
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Toby,
    I know you can't say anything, I was kinda being sarcastic????? I have a small project I've been playing in Alibre with, it's an old project out of a 1934 Popular Mechanics magazine, it's a small tap stand, I'm modeling it up, going to try the assembly module and the motion module. When I'm done with it I may post it for everyone to have.

Dave
    Schneider Machine
    A force of one

Toby,
    I know you can't say anything, I was kinda being sarcastic????? I have a small project I've been playing in Alibre with, it's an old project out of a 1934 Popular Mechanics magazine, it's a small tap stand, I'm modeling it up, going to try the assembly module and the motion module. When I'm done with it I may post it for everyone to have.

Dave
    That would be COOL Dave!!!!!! I haven't seen too much of the Animation abilities of any software.

That makes for a great fun project too. I can never stress enough to people that in order to learn it must be fun. Learning under the gun is only frustrating and counter-productive.

I look forward to seeing you work.

Cheers!!!!!!
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I hear ya, I'd rather work at my own pace doing some simple stuff, now, when that's done, figure out the assembly portion, I did some minor assembly's in Pro E years ago but no motion so even the motion part may be fun to do. Plus, it's a slick little tap stand, actually built one about 10 years ago, I use the dang thing all the time I think it was written in the magazine as a high school drill press/lathe project, lot of layout work.
    right now as it is all the parts are dimensioned on 1 print, I may go as far as creating prints for each part, that is one thing I never really had to do (create prints) except for my own stuff if I felt like it.

Dave
    Schneider Machine
    A force of one

Hello

I hear ya, I'd rather work at my own pace doing some simple stuff, now, when that's done, figure out the assembly portion, I did some minor assembly's in Pro E years ago but no motion so even the motion part may be fun to do. Plus, it's a slick little tap stand, actually built one about 10 years ago, I use the dang thing all the time I think it was written in the magazine as a high school drill press/lathe project, lot of layout work.
    right now as it is all the parts are dimensioned on 1 print, I may go as far as creating prints for each part, that is one thing I never really had to do (create prints) except for my own stuff if I felt like it.

Dave
    LOL, Prints today especially good ones are hard to come by, unless they are Adobe PDF. That is a nice feature in Alibre. They have an Adobe Module so you can create really nice Prints.

BTW Adobe 3D looks nice too.

I guess you could say that I'm a CAD/CAM and Machining Junky. Oh well, we all have our faults.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Alibre will give many choices for making your prints but for us, we decided to use the solid models and make the prints associatively from them.

This way we can get any view plus ortho views froim the solid and not have to do the harder 2D work. The software does most of the work for us and we have solids to machine from as well as a good check of assemblies.

Smile Alibre 10 expert

Just a note to all considering Alibre. background. I wanted to machine my own parts & ideas instead of taking to fabricator then throwing in my scrap box!
    Learned drafting in junior high 3 years in 60's. So learned cad with autocad lite,then acad14 then turbocad(had a family could not afford upgrades) 6,v8 prof & 11 prof cad cam. Hf mill drill & rotary table then Hf 12x 36 lathe. Then Kent 9x 42 knee mill. Converted knee mill from ebay parts ( taught myself enough elec to build power supplies & such) went Galil route. Wrote routines with native 2 letter galil code. then learned about "G-CODE!!" Bought wingcnc started writing code. Whew! Had no idea.... Bought Turbo cad/Cam when it came out. Life was good. Making money now with my obsession. Wanted to get Autocad inventor. Stumbled upon Alibre free download. Learning curve. Bought Expert 9.1 for motion and analysis. Would then take to turbocad then write to wingcnc then try it out. Unknown to me but by buying expert came with upgrade to v10 with cam.Shocked, Stunned and Amazed. I have never had a new version upgrade from any software company. To me version 10 is just that a whole new product. Alibrecam is accessed right from part window. you can toggle between design explorer and cam with a tab button. Visualmill has flawless post for wingcnc ,canned routines, ramps everything I wanted tied to a parametric modeling software. The best. Period.
    If I can use it anyone can.
    Thanks Alibre & mecsoft finally a combination that works the way I do.

I really enjoy seeing happy people. I have to agree that Alibre is great!!!
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

So, how does one go about upgrading to V10? Is it an automatic thing or is there something you have to do? I've been logging on a couple times this past week but nothing has happened nor has it asked me if I want to upgrade.
    Dave
    Schneider Machine
    A force of one

So, how does one go about upgrading to V10? Is it an automatic thing or is there something you have to do? I've been logging on a couple times this past week but nothing has happened nor has it asked me if I want to upgrade.
    Dave
    Usually the First Upgrade from one Version to the next is included in your original purchase. After that there is a yearly Maintenance Fee that is pretty cheap that will automatically Upgrade you to the next Full Version.

If you don't pay the maintenance you can still upgrade for a cheap price.

Which Version do you have, V9.2????
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Page 1 of 2 12