586,234 active members*
3,126 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HAAS VF1 Startup Problem

I just recently got my new (new to me, the machine is a '91) VF1 powered up with my new Phase Perfect digital converter and had good success with it in terms of jogging the table around, and simple stuff. Today, I went to load a program to it via RS232 and now something is all screwed up!

With the HAAS "WAITING..." for the program, I initiated the transfer at the PC...nothing. Turns out the HAAS froze up or something, wouldn't resond to any keystrokes or anything. Finally had to shut the machine off and tried to reboot. When I turned the machine back on, I got a constant beep out of the control and a bunch of lines on the screen. Turned it on and off a bunch of times hoping that would do *something* and finally the beep went away but still nothing on the screen.

I looked on the main processor PCB and I see the HALT LED is on. I checked voltage out of the PC-type power supply in the rear cabinet and that seems OK.

Anybody have any ideas where to go from here??

Thanks everybody!
    -Ryan
    Ryan K. Dygert
    www.Empire-Engineering.com

sounds like a processor board, or Video pcb

Ryan, this thread sounds like the same problem you are having? http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cg...3;t=005680;p=0

Did you remove the communications cable and try rebooting? Is it a known good cable, properly wired? Most of the time, an incorrect cable just prevents communication from occurring, it doesn't fry anything, but who knows?

Did you accidentally hook the comm cable to a pc printer port (don't laugh, it is possible )

I'm just imagining the things that a newb can suffer through
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by HaasTech83 View Post
    sounds like a processor board, or Video pcb
    Is there a way to determine if a board is bad? I followed the limited information in the Maintenance Manual and disconnected both Buss cables (from the video board and motor control board) from the processor PCB...this makes the fault light go away. If I just disconnect the video board, the fault light is still there...if i just disconnect the motor control board, the fault light goes out again. This would seem to me that the motor control board might be the problem...but then again maybe it could still be the processor board itself?

And yes, I did disconnect the rs232 cable and tried rebooting *several* times.
    Ryan K. Dygert

if you disconnect all the cables from the processor and the halt light goes out the problem is not the processor, normally. rs 232 is a funny thing with haas. check the power supply if it was updated. does it have the computer style power supply or the newer haas oem power supply this is the power supply that powers the processor stack. look at the cable going to the power connector on the bottom right of the processor and see how many wires you have going to it. the newer processors only need 4 wires the older processors needed all the power wires +5 -5 +12 -12 and ground to use rs 232. is the halt light on the mocon board also?

power off the machine and push and hold the pgm button then power on does it come up with a different screen?

I tried to start the machine while holding the program button...no change. The screen still comes up with a bunch of rolling lines or completely blank, seems to be a little different every time I turn it on.

The machine has a pc-style power supply in it, each board has the same 4-pin connector that a pc would have. However, when I test the voltage at the plug, I get a +5, +12, and ground...there is no -5 or -12.

What board is the mocon board? I can't find it in the machine. Is it the same as the MOTIF board in the processor stack? If so, I don't see any lights on it anywhere...where should I be looking?

Thanks again everbody...
    Ryan K. Dygert

the motif is the mocon for a brush type machine. the only thing you can do at this point is board swap sounds like you have to call the hfo