586,127 active members*
3,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 10TF - Panel LEDs

Hello all. I have a 1984 Hitachi Seike Hitech Turn 20 in the shop with a Fanuc 10TF control. It is new to my shop and I am trying to get it up and running again. I have been slowly plugging away at one issue at a time. I had started out over in the General Electronics Discussion forum here as the first problem I encountered was a bad electronic component in the spindle drive. I got a lot of great help there and I can't the people who gave me their help enough.

That last problem I have concerns the Operator Panel LEDs. They will not light, not one of them. We kicked this around a bit over in Electronics and looked into several possibilities of an electronic nature there. But I have not been able to get them to work yet. It may still prove to be electronics related, but I figured I would try here in hopes someone may have seen this one before or have new ideas as to the cause. I know I can run the machine without the LEDs working, but where it is new to me and I am unfamiliar with it, I want to have them all going to lessen the chances of an accident.

I have confirmed that all of the LEDs will light through testing them. I just can't get the control to light them. I confirmed that there is 5V present at the annode of each and that all of the cables/wires are good to the board located directly behind the panel. I am also fairly certian that the ICs/transistors that light the LEDs are good. I tested for voltage on the input pins of the ICs from the control and found none when there should have been some. To test the IC I jumpered 5V to the input pin for one of the LEDs (I know, risky to do) and the LED lit. I also called up the ladder program for the PLC and confirmed that the outputs for the LEDs I was focusing on where turning on.

I don't know where to check next. It was suggested in the electronics forum that maybe the outputs were disabled. I don't have all of the manuals/docs for the machine, but a couple that I have contain some parameter lists. I have scoured them and cannot find one that I can tell would turn off these outputs. But I may have missed it or lost it in the wonderful wording of the translations for the manuals.

Does anyone know of any parameter in the 10TF that would cause this? Or have any other idea what might be doing it? Maybe some other electronic component or baord that may be bad? I am open to any and all suggestions.

Sorry for the length of this post, I tend to get long winded and I wanted to give any detail that may come in handy to someone who can help. I also want to say thanks in advance for any thoughts and time considering/pondering my problem. At the very least I am sure I will learn from what anyone has to say and I try to suck up all the education I can get.

Best Wishes,
    Rob

I think you are not yet commissioned the machine. In Fanuc 10 TF, System will check the condition of the Machine accessories & Memorys one by one. After completion of that checking only we can able to run the Machine. Now what is your stage of position, Machine Running or not. If not running Pl. check the Display of Master pcb & what it is showing in 7 segment LED.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Sakthivel View Post
    I think you are not yet commissioned the machine. In Fanuc 10 TF, System will check the condition of the Machine accessories & Memorys one by one. After completion of that checking only we can able to run the Machine. Now what is your stage of position, Machine Running or not.
    The machine seems to be running fine other than the operator panel LEDs. Motors run smooth, both X and Y traverse smoothly, the spindle runs smooth and quiet, the hydraulics seem to be functioning well, the turret indexes fine, etc. As far as I can tell, all is well except for the operator panel LED indicators. I have been systematically working through all of the machine systems to get them online. It has not been easy with the sparse documentation. It has made the process very slow as I do not want to rush anything. There are also no alarms showing on the control CRT. The machine was underpower and making chips the morning it was picked up, but then it sat for 7-8 months.

If not running Pl. check the Display of Master pcb & what it is showing in 7 segment LED.
    The seven segment LED shows 1 as best I can tell.

Any thoughts based on this info? If any more info is needed/would help, please let me know and I will find it and provide it ASAP.

Thanks again.

Best Wishes,
    Rob

If all the LED`s not glowing means you have to check up the Common line Whether it is Positive or Negative depends on I/O Configuration. Normally Out Put from the system is 24V DC. Pl. check it up

L.Sakthivel. You may want to check the other post to see what has transpired so far rather than rehash it over again.
    http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39777
    Personally I think it may be a bad operator interface board that is not affecting the communication.
    Inputs are working.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    L.Sakthivel. You may want to check the other post to see what has transpired so far rather than rehash it over again.
    http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39777
    Personally I think it may be a bad operator interface board that is not affecting the communication.
    Inputs are working.
    Al.
    Al, good to see you here as well. I figured you would pick up on it here as well. I thought about posting a link to the previous thread in this one but was not sure if that was good form or not.

As far as the board that may be bad, which one do you think might be the trouble? The board directly behind the operator panel that is next in line from the LEDs, that the big Honda connectors plug into? Or then next one down the chain of connection that the COP3 fiber optic conector appears on?

Thanks.

Best Wishes,
    Rob

If you switch to a differnt forum, its OK, just best to refer to the previous link, saves posters wasting time.
    The one I meant was the Op panel with the Honda's on, CM1,2,3 & 4.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    If you switch to a differnt forum, its OK, just best to refer to the previous link, saves posters wasting time.
    The one I meant was the Op panel with the Honda's on, CM1,2,3 & 4.
    Al.
    I beleive in the previous thread ou had stated that it would be hard to tell if this board was bad without substitution of it. Did I understand that correctly? If yes, any suggestions on a source for a substitute? I checked eBay reall quick and the boards I found so far run in the $400-$500 range minimum. That is way more than it is worth to have the LEDs working again. At least for now it is.

Any one else have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks as always.

Best Wishes,
    Rob

Check the front panel power supply.
    This will stop the LEDs from turning on

Quote Originally Posted by cncdiag View Post
    Check the front panel power supply.
    This will stop the LEDs from turning on
    Where would I find the front panel power supply? I think I may have already confirmed it is working. All of the LEDs have 5V present at their annode and the LEDs will light when the cathode is jumpered to common. Also the operator IO panel has 5V present on the test pin on the board.

If there is some place else to check or this information does not confirm the front panel power supply is working please let me know. Feel free to hollar at me. I know this is kind of a little thing, but it is driving me nuts. Pull my hair out kind of stuff. I know the lathe will run just fine for me without them. But I am unfamiliar with this unit and the 10T control. So I would like to have all the indicators working to minimize the chances of me missing something.

Thanks as always.

Best Wishes,
    Rob