WOW today was my first CNC cut with I think was a 7 series aluminum and wow should I have listened to you guys with using a coolant system. (chair)

The WD40 isn't bad, but I should be using some sort of coolant system! I noticed when not using any liquid (WD40), some vibration and very jagged cuts on the sides of my work piece.

I'm running my X1 CNC mill with -
1/8th 2 flute carbide endmill
cutfeedrate of 5
plungerate of 2
at 1800rpms

When using the WD40, the cuts were much cleaner, but it just looks like it's still missing something for the finish.

I thinking about making my own system. I was going to use a water pump from homedepot, but didn't know which one to go with or if the pumps they sold would be strong enough.

I found this site with directions on making a flood coolant system, buy I have very little knowledge with this. So if anyone would like to share any info or experiences with a system like this, Please feel free to share.

Parts Listing

I'd be pleased to save others some time in making their system. The total parts cost is about $300. Here is a complete listing of the parts needed to make a really nice coolant system:

Aluminum milling machine drainpan see drawings below (any fabricator - $150)
Little Giant VMC-1 Pump (www.mscdirect.com #09409012 - $80)
Loc-Line 1/4" Coolant Pieces: 1/4" snap-together hose; magnetic base; 1/4" valve; 1/4" T-fittings; miscellaneous nozzles (www.modularhose.com - $25)
1/2" thick aluminum plate to hold mill above coolant (www.mcmaster.com - $50)
27/64" drill bit and 3/8" NPT Tap for Wabeco CNC table (hardware store - $15)
Mobilmet S-122 water-based coolant (www.mscdirect.com #60002466 - $14)

Chris