Quote Originally Posted by Butterhat View Post
I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules here, but, as promised, here are some high-res photos of the controller box.
Well, that let me know my memory is still sharp... IMS drives.....

You have a fairly simple environment to convert to a new control. Those three wires coming from each motor drive are typical to all sorts of hobby level controls. One is STEP, one is DIRECTION and the third is a COMMON. The drive PC boards may be marked as to which is which, but you may as well download the documentation for the drives so you can eventually adjust your preferred resolution. One would assume the output amperage settings are already correct, and no changes need to be made on the high voltage side of those drives.

Personally, I'd spend the money for Flashcut CNC as they have a very nice fully capable Cad (drawing) / Cam(G-code creation) system built right into the control software. While I've seen some pretty lame, partially effective attempts at built in Cad/Cam, these guys really knocked it out of the park.

An added plus is they can advise you with exactly how you need to interface what you have there.

If your on a much tighter budget, there are many, many controls you can connect to those drives and end up with a formidable machine, but you will need to do all the learning and legwork yourself to get under way. If you have a good understanding of wiring, electrical theory and commitment, your set.

I'd avoid the old Mach3 like the plague unless your really looking to learn/experience unexplainable quirks no one should really have to understand or accept.