hello all, my first post here. I'm a u.k based machinist and just picked up a few bench top machines. One is the emco pc mill 50, i'd like to start a small thread for any that wants to add information regarding these machines or similar wether good / no good, faults and remedies, programming tips even.
im not experienced in cnc programming and have been a manual toolmaker for 11 years now, this is the first step on the ladder to learning the art of cnc.

with this particular machine i have the use of two different control systems, the emco wincam cad/cam/nc software and also an emulated Ge Fanuc 0 type control which is emulated accurately via the emco Pc program 'winNc'' and controlled via keyboard input so i have the choice of both which will be handy im sure. i have a working area of 190X , 90Y and 190Z, and program controlled spindle speeds of upto 2500rpm. feedrate max of 750mm/min. i appreciate its not a multi-pallet mitsubishi with 2sec cTc !.. but its mine and i'm happy with the chance to get going. i'd also like to learn of other similar machines like the home built cnc's so a better gauge of capability can be had you know i might be better off outing it and getting another set-up etc.

ive noted allready a few things which are going to be a small issue to overcome. these are the toolholders which are from what i can understand not freely available in the tooling world MT30 spindle taper i think (will check). i do have 4 of them so i can tool up for small jobs etc, but at the moment they are all esx-25 type collet holders.. now im sure this is the same as ER25 so ive just ordered a set of er's' in the hope they fit. with regards to holding other tools like face mills or morse taper shanks i guess i'm stuck.

heres a picture of the machine installed in my workshop i'm tooling it up slowly to get ready for some cutting what experience have you of these?