586,391 active members*
3,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Ok.. so what your saying is I'll never learn... 'cause this is hopefully the first of two or three VFD's I ever plan to set up.. I don't mind... it's just useless knowledge if you never plan to use it My "harddrive" capacity is always bouncing near the limit as it is.. so the less things I try to "store" the better..I try to keep it as un-cluttered as I can up there, leaves more room for important stuff.. like.. G54's and G92's
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by JerryFlyGuy View Post
    Maybe, but then I don't understand the theory behind it, to know when it'd be nesc and when it's not.. etc... I'm still a total nube when it comes to electrons

Another question for you. Every time I shut down the VFD and then power it up again, it's sitting at A001 and I have to up arrow to D001 and hit feature. Is this because the little slide switch is set to PRG? When I connect it up so I have 0-10vdc control and switch that slide switch to TRM will it stop doing this? I couldn't see anything in the book about setting it so it starts out already in D001.

Lastly, is there a proper way to shut down a VFD? I've been making sure the motor is stopped and then hitting the power disconnect.. is this ok or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks sir!
    Don't worry about being a "rube", even some of the most brilliant minds in the electrical field don't REALLY know how it all works, just what they can observe. So from that standpoint, they don't know any more than the rest of us, they just are able to observe more interesting stuff!

Most VFDs do have a way to program the way it comes up on power up, but I didn't see than anywhere in the Hitachi manual. That's not to say it isn't there somewhere, but they have a bad case of "Jinglish" (Japanese-English) in their technical writing. I used to re-write VFD manuals for a Taiwanese mfr., it's a big problem that most people don't want to pay to correct (they stopped paying me for it ).

The way you are apparently shutting down is probably the best way. Tell the VFD to turn off the motor, then turn off power to the VFD. No harm in killing the input power while running, but don't have the motor start running at the same time as you apply power or you might create an error, and NEVER open the power from the VFD to the motor under load with a disconnect or contactor, it tends to drastically shorten the life of the transistors.

Page 2 of 2 12