Quote Originally Posted by mongo46538 View Post
Hello,
I have been using UG Cam for over 10 years now. Just switched to NX5.
I will make every effort to seek and provide useful knowledge to this forum.
Right now I'm just short of postal over UG infamous non-cutting moves. The problem I discovered today has prompted me to seek some form of self medication. Trying to threadmill using a helix curve and use fixed contour/curve point drive method. This works well as far as driving the cutter where I need ti to go, but I cant seem to get the cutter to simply start at the beginning of the helix and lift at the end even if I set every option to none. I want to set initial to a control point at the bottom of the helix (Thread milling bottom up) at the center of the hole and move strait to the beginning of the helix. It still wants to arc ramp in the z axis. Then when it reaches the top of the helix it puts a straight feed move the shortest distance from the top of the helix back to the bottom (Start Point). I have also had this set to where it appeared to work properly on the first generate and then give something different on the second generate.

(ALL THIS BEFORE I POST TO CAMPLETE FOR USE ON A MIKRON UPC600VARIO 5TH AXIS MACHINE)

If your remotely curious about my previous helical ramping in Fixed contour problem check out IR6068970 at GTAC. It has been upgraded to a full blown Priority 1 PR6068970.
OO-oooooooo :banana:that and 50 cents still wont get a cup of coffee. That's ok because by the time we go NX6 they will have completely rewritten the software to add that extra functionality that we all cant live with out and I'm sure Ill lose more of my sanity as UG get crappier and crappier.

Going slowly insane

Mongo:stickpoke:drowningchair):idea::idea::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Sounds like you are having fun. I switched to NX6 from NX4 just a few months ago. Now that I have gotten used to the non-cutting moves I have actually found them to be better than NX4. It actually seems much easier to control my engages and retracts.

i don't know how much NX5 differs from NX6 but what you are describing is exactly what I've been doing for the past week. I guess the difference is that I am having success with it. I will say the one thing that I did notice was that when I had my cutter defined as a "thread-mill", I was having problems with it driving the helix correctly. I then defined my cutter as a "T-cutter" and then it worked correctly. Maybe something for you to try, or perhaps you have. Good luck.