586,144 active members*
4,141 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > importing files to MC?

importing files to MC?

what is the best file type to import from IGS? DXF? etc

I have always had good luck with IGES, but just always remember that converting a file from one to another is like translate japanese to norwegian, many times something will be lost in translation.

Lars

I use parisolid for most my importing. I beleive parisolid is very clean import.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

rgr thanks!

here is a really dumb question. after you drop a 2d line or rectangle or whatever is there a way to re-edit it? not meaning trim mean getting back into the ribbin bar or even better draggin the points again? no way to open it or redrag it again?

ty

I have always had the best luck with parasolids when importing into MC. I have never had any issues with IGES either. IGES seems to be a more universaly used format (atleast with the companies I deal with). Either way will get the job done.

Well what version of MC are you using and what software are you trying to get a file from this can make a diffrence?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to change a 2D feature that you have already drawn much like you can on higher end modeling programs like unigraphics, IDEAS, ect... I have not tried Version 10, but up to version 9, no you can not to the best of my knowledge. You either have to be creative in MC using different tools such as extend-length, or the other xform and modify tools. Depending on what you have available to you, it is sometimes helpful to create as much geometry as possible in a more powerful modeling software. Again, I am unsure what V.10 has to offer, but as far as V.9 is concerned, i think that once you get comfortable with it, you will have no problem with the 2D and some light 3D Cad in MC.

If you are asking aster making a rectangle and you get out of this function can you go back and make changes yes but you can not make it a like Eninty again like when you first made it, were it was blue color 11 and make easy changes.
    But if it is a solid Primitive block then yes.

But you can edite the lines in the rectangle by using F4 you can change the info there.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

thanks thats the info I needed, had a feeling that was the case. Very odd that the option to drag and drop goes away after finishing a sketch.

WOW, I have been using MC heavily for years, and i never stummbled upon that option....That is great! Thanks for the great info!