586,119 active members*
3,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > KMB1 dnc almost got it

KMB1 dnc almost got it

Ok I think I got my mill and pc somewhat talking to each other. I still have issues. This is what the screen says after It has loaded my program:
    Read paper tape
    end of program Rs-358
    N20 79 characters

N20M02%

I think the symbol is a %, on the screen it is a little diff.
    So does this sound right? Also what are the next steps to edit, set offsets, and run. I have no documents. Any help would be great. I am also using hyper-terminal to send program.

mmachining,
    So how is it working? Can you tell me what you are using to communicate with the Hurco? I have an SM1, same control as you, and I am looking to run g-code. I have been running a tape emulator, but I have been told I need a new cable to run the g-code. Did you get one of these cables?

I think you may be misinformed. The hardware to run g-code is no different than to run conversational. If I understand you correctly, you are currently using the "tape emulator" to load and store both your master and part programs. In order to be accomplishing this, your PC must already be capable of successful communication to the MPU board via your "tape emulator". You should be able to load the "g-code" master program instead of the conversational master. You will have a different prompt after a successful "reboot". You then transfer the "g-code" part program and execute it. If you are using the AMTS "tape emulator" you must be using a DOS computer and running the proper communication program. If you are using CMC Systems "tape emulator", then you can use their Windows-based communication program.

I have 2 MB1 and 1 Mb11....For g code you have to go thru the serial ports...you also have to set up the protocals in your machine and your computer
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Caudill View Post
    I think you may be misinformed. The hardware to run g-code is no different than to run conversational. If I understand you correctly, you are currently using the "tape emulator" to load and store both your master and part programs. In order to be accomplishing this, your PC must already be capable of successful communication to the MPU board via your "tape emulator". You should be able to load the "g-code" master program instead of the conversational master. You will have a different prompt after a successful "reboot". You then transfer the "g-code" part program and execute it. If you are using the AMTS "tape emulator" you must be using a DOS computer and running the proper communication program. If you are using CMC Systems "tape emulator", then you can use their Windows-based communication program.
    Jim, thank you, yes I can load the g-code master with the tape emulator. I don't think it is a CMC or an AMTS emulator though. When I opened the cabinet and looked, the emulator board (small circuit board mounted to the inside wall and connected to the connection that my PC cable plugs into) says Hurco on it. I do go into DOS to run the communication software. I have to type hurco.exe in DOS to start the program, then I can load my master and/or part files. I have the SM1STD and the SM1GCODE masters.
    So, I loaded the g-code master, and everything came up different on the Hurco, for instance instead of saying "data blk last" it will say "buffer empty". This is where I am stuck. I followed the instructions on the AMTS site to set up windows hyperterminal and the machine to accept the code, but when I try to "send text file" the machine doesn't read anything.
    So I basically don't know what I need to buy or do to get this thing going, and was hoping that someone had already done it and could enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by jfc11 View Post
    I have 2 MB1 and 1 Mb11....For g code you have to go thru the serial ports...you also have to set up the protocals in your machine and your computer
    Jim

Jim, thank you. By "serial ports" do you mean the round ones? If so, would that mean that I do on fact have to purchase a cable, 2 cables? I was looking behind the ports themselves and was wondering why I couldn't just cut the wires and splice them to a new connector?
    Is there any documentation that you know of that would explain the steps in setting up the protocals? My manual explains all about the conversational code, but doesn't say anything about g-code.

you can load your master thru the emulator board for g code but to send a part program you have to go thru a serial port....my serial port is a db9 plug ....you can buy a kit to add the db9 to the machine and get rid of the round ones.... ican use the same cable for both the emulator and serial port...just un plug it from one and stick it in the other...once you load the g code you have to go to the set up screen for the protocols...i use a dnc program to send the part files over.....you have to set the ptotocols up in the dnc to communicate with the machine I use machine link...you can do a search for it.....i use www.midwestcnc.com for repairs and parts....they have free phone support and can get you the cables and other items to get you going....
    Jim

Thanks Jim, I think I will demo machine link, it looks good. So, I assume you use a CAM program to create your g-code, then import it to machine link? Would you mind telling me which CAM package you use? I am looking to get something relatively cheap that will import dxf from AutoCAD, create the toolpaths and write the g-code. I downloaded a demo of sheetcam, but it doesn't have a post processor for the Hurco.

I use a program called xcad....its about 7 years old....they are now under the name excaliber i think... I got visualmill but have not taken the time to learn it yet....if you contact sheetcam i think they can make you a post processor...if not you can make your own pretty easy....if i can help any just let me know...
    Jim