587,019 active members*
3,932 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Building Router Table

I AM A NEW USER LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE ON BUILDING A PC BASED SYSTEM THAT IS EAZY TO RUN AND INTERACT WITH OTHER SOFTWARE.

I HAVE MANY ?

I WANT TO END UP WITH A HIGH TORQUE SYSTEM (1000 OZ) WITH 5-6 AXIS OF CONTROL, BUT WILL START WITH A SIMPLE 3 AXIS SYSTEM (HOPEFULLY THAT IS EXPANDABLE).

I HAVE LOOKED AT MANY DIFFERENT MONTION CONTROL SYSTEMS AND I AM CONFUSED ON WERE TO BEGIN.

THE MAJOR PROBLEM IS HOW DO I MATCH UP THE CONTROL - DRIVER - MOTORS?

I HAVE READ IN THIS FORUM THAT HIGH VOLT - LOW AMP MOTORS ARE BETTER.

P.S. THE PRO BUILDERS IS MY BUSINESS NAME SINCE I AM A BUILDER AND ONBODY CAN PRONOUCE MY LAST NAME. NOT TO BE COINCIDED.

MO is that montana. If so what part.
    If it was me i would use nema 34 motors and a 2 to 1 gear reduction thu a timing belt. Use gecko 201 microstepping drives or wait for the new Gecko Vampire drive. Use mach2 to control it. It has the abiltity to run 6 axis. Then pick up a power supply off e-bay. You can sometimes get them for $50 to $100 from the telcom industry. I had 2 nice ones given to me for free. Now I have a spair. To bad they are over 200lbs each. Get a cambel breakout board then your good to go on the electronics.
    As for the table you did'nt mention size or need for rigitiy. Sure there are guys here with more knowlege than I that will point you in the right direction based on your needs.

Donny

THANK FOR THE INPUT!!!

I HAVE VIEWED http://www.artofcnc.ca/product.html SITE AND THE MACH 2 PRODUCT. IT LOOKS TO BE ABOUT EVERTHING, HOWEVER THERE ARE NO PICTURES OF THE PRODUCT. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IF IT IS A PCB MONTION CONTROLL CARD OR A SOFTWARE PROGRAM?

IF IT IS ONLY THE SOFTWARE SIDE DO I STILL NEED A MOTION CONTROLL CARD OR NOT?

THANKS AGIAN FOR AN HELP

SORRY IT IS MISSOURI NOT MONTANA

THANKS AGAIN

Hit the caps lock key once

Mach 2 is software. You don't need a motion control card but you do need drivers such a a xylotex or gecko's.

Low volt, high current is best for speed.

Describe what you are building and from what materials, what you plan on doing with the machine and your budget and it will be easier to help you.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

I am planning on building in protype 4'x8' min moving ganty table with a 12" x axis for heavy duty mdf circular work to start with. I was planning on using a 2 to 1 ratio with timing belts and pulleys. I basically have the mechanics worked out it is only the techie part I could use some help with.

So the mach 2 does the work of a motion control card only it uses the pc's resources so to speak. it will tie up the processor (no big deal)?

If this is true I will need a driver for each motor or axis, right?

What type of motor unipolar , bipolar, hybrid, ect?

Also, at some time I would like encoder feed back in the future, I think?

Thanks for the input, mach 2 sounds like the way to go to get your feet wet.

Thanks

Mach 2 is as you describe. It will tie up the CPU.

You need a driver for each axis. have a look at www.geckodrive.com

Unipolar or Bipolar would work with gecko drives

No need for encoders on steppers, and there is presently no software that supports closed loop systems. If you use servo's you will need encoders, but they go back to the drive, not the PC.

Build the machine first, purchase motors and drives last.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Thanks for the input. You guys have saved me alot of money compared to what I thought I needed. I believe I have enough info to get started.

If I have any more questions I will be sure to use this forum.

Thanks again!!!

PROBUILDER,
    Where abouts in MO, I live in St. Peters

Phil

So the mach 2 does the work of a motion control card only it uses the pc's resources so to speak. it will tie up the processor (no big deal)?
    Essentially true. What Mach2 and any of the other programs do, is to generate a signal. You see, a stepper motor requires a 2 part signal in order to move...one tells it to move a step, the other tells it in which direction.

The driver board (1 per motor...) reads this instruction, and generates the necessary voltages on the right pins, at the right levels for the motor. Needless to say, your parallel port couldn't drive a very big motor directly...if at all. (inductive loads on computer ports are not a good idea)

Each motor ties up 2 lines on your parallel port -- that's where the signals come out.

Thanks for the input, mach 2 sounds like the way to go to get your feet wet.
    Don't discount the simpler software, either. TurboCNC is very good, and is shareware...free and fully functional, with a $20 (I think) registration fee.

A LOT of people on this site use TurboCNC.

-- Chuck Knight

Keep in mind that Mach2 runs on an XP computer (I.E. newer). With TurboCNC you can use an old 233mHz DOS box and just dedicate it to the router table. If you want it networked, install Win98 and boot to dos when you want to run the table.
    Bill

Could you give some more info on the Gecko Vampire Drivers. When do they come out, what do they look like, price, what can they handle, any links?
    Thanks.

Thanks for the link.
    So is Gecko Vampire the same thing as Gecko 2002 or whatever. Is it going to be like 6 G201 of G210's put together or a whole new drive. Anybody know the price range expected. Also, I read a post there, so is it true that is should be ready by 2006 or something, or was the person talking about something else.
    Thanks. :rainfro:

I think it's going to be a bulletproof G201. A drive that can't be destroyed. I think I've heard $150 or so.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So, is it just a bunch of G201's put together in a bulletproof box? Those pics on the link look pretty cool.
    That is pretty cheap for six axis $150. When is it going to be out, maybe it is worth is to wait.
    Thanks.

That's for ONE axis. And don't quote me on the price. It's just what I remember reading somewhere. I believe it's just the next generation of the G201. Not a bulletproof box. Just a new design that can't be damaged by faulty wiring, short circuits, etc.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

When do ya figure it's out?
    Thanks.