Quote Originally Posted by Shotout View Post
....Never so much as a hiccup outside of the Y-axis jump that has now reoccured, annoying to have a program work one day then overtravel the next.....Scott
You had posted about this I think. I might have mentioned my solution for fixing sticking microswitches....bash em with a plastic hammer like I did for an old MiniMill.

On Thursday this week this same Mini, something like 3000 spindle hours so it is not young, homed 1 revolution negative on the X axis. Of course it then proceeded to break tools off on the edge of a clamp immediately beside the hole it was supposed to spot, drill and tap. We had a new parts loader on the machine so he was worried he had done something wrong so my guy who does setups went to look at things. He jogged the X axis full negative like we always do...spin the jogwheel very fast. That gave him a X axis servo overload alarm; he didn't know it had homed wrong and was going 0.200 further negative than it should have so he ran it full speed into the hard stop. So now the shop supervisor came over and they did the first thing before calling Geof; power off and back on and auto restart. Which gave them a servo overload and a loud humming sound.

So they came to get me looking terribly worried. I crossed fingers, turned power off and back on, then went into Settings and turned on Jog Without Zero Return and slowly jogged the X axis positive while watching the servo load. It only went to 150% or so before it broke free. Then we homed the machine, checked Work Offsets and it ran fine the rest of the day and Friday. We will take the covers off next week and clean the switch, I think it just hung up.

Incidentally if you ever run Haas machines into a hard stop like this don't panic, at least not immediately. The hard stop is actually a big sleeve of what looks like nylon on the end of the ballscrew. That is what I have seen on all the machines I have taken the covers off. I think the sleeve turns with the screw so when the nut overtravels and hits the plastic the ballscrew is stopped and the servo overload not because the screw thread has jammed bit because the friction of the nut against the plastic is directly braking the screw. This means the servo overloads slowly, by this I mean slowly in terms of tens of milliseconds rather than a millisecond or two.