586,808 active members*
8,007 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > VF-2SS Tool Carousel Problem

VF-2SS Tool Carousel Problem

Good Morning Everyone. I am having an alarm # 942 (carousel timed out). It is too early for HFO to be open and I was hoping someone may have some insight. The 24 tool carousel will move clockwise ok, but will not move counter-clockwise. Thus, the alarm is generated. This is a 2006 machine and you guessed it, it's just out of warranty. If anyone has any insight, I am desperate with a hot job to get this running as quickly as possible. Thanks, JoBwan

Check the tool changer ToolChanger oil level. I had a similar problem on a machine but it was due the cold weather. I suppose that you are not in this situation but I will explain it anyway:
    The oil on the toolchanger was too tick due the low temp starting the machine early in the morning, just blowing warm air around the carusel with a hairdryer was enough to fix the problem.
    We ended up using a thinner oil for the toolchanger on that machine.

Hope it helps!

Ciao,
    Sandro

I have had toolchanger problems because chips stick to the face of the proximity sensors that detect carousel position.

There are two near the center on top of the carousel. They are difficult to see and get to but a crude way of flushing off any chips is just to spray all around the inside top of the mechanism with coolant.

A few months ago I posted some pictures I took of the sensors on the 10 tool changer on a MiniMill the 20 tool changer is bigger but similar.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22545
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thumbs up VF-2 SS Tool Carousel

Geof,
    I have not seen any components that look like your pic's. This is a super speed and does not have an umbrella type tool changer. I have checked all of the proxi's that I am able to see with the covers off, to no avail. If I push the ATC Forward button, it changes tools perfectly. If I push the ATC Reverse button, then it alarms with nothing happening. Thanks for your inputs. I hope anyone out there can help with other options. HFO is really slow today for returning calls. Thanks again, JoBwan

I was fooled by the word carousel. You have the side mount of course, I should have realised that with the VF2 SS.

Have you turned the machine off and restarted it? My solution when I don't have the faintest idea what is going on. Crossing all available fingers when you push the power on button might help
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Geof,
    Did that! Didn't help. I even crossed my toes. I just wish HFO would call me back. I'm getting a little frustrated and nervous on my timelines.

Lightbulb VF-2SS Tool Carousel

Guys,
    I got her fixed and running on my own. Solution: I changed one of the relays on the I/O board and BINGO!!!! If I remember right, it was CR6. It's a little Omron 12VDC relay. Thanks and hope this helps some other souls out there in the future. JoBwan:rainfro: :banana:

Jobwan:
    i had a similar problem with a lathe rotation in one way was o.k in the opposite it wasn't. Because of production requirements i just recommend you to add to your program a few "dummy"(is it?) tool changes and just keep it runing in one direction untill HFO service tech have time for you.

Those relays will get you every time. I tore apart my lathe because everytime i called up a tool that was closer to rotate opposite direction it would alarm the cause was the ccw relay so I found and bought 10 relays everytime something goes wrong I change out a relay and it fixes the problem. Haas machines are notorious for relay problems.
    Joe

Hi all the community: I have desided between a horizontal and a vertical carousel for Hass VF3, but not which is better of the two,
    Need to know, basically that each has different operational, maintenance and service life. The use will be given the machining center is for the manufacture of plastic injection molds all they can tell me about this type of tool changers.
    From already thank you very much everybody. Yours faithfully FAE

HELP ME!!!!!

hello. i have a bridgeport vmc 560 with 16 tools, i was having a problem with the machine but we can fixed, but we cant fix a problem with the tool changer.

if some body could help me please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikemtz123 View Post
    i have a bridgeport vmc
    (wrong)
    Post this problem in the Bridgeport Forum:
    Bridgeport and Hardinge Mills - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

HELP!!! I have the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBwan View Post
    Guys,
    I got her fixed and running on my own. Solution: I changed one of the relays on the I/O board and BINGO!!!! If I remember right, it was CR6. It's a little Omron 12VDC relay. Thanks and hope this helps some other souls out there in the future. JoBwan:rainfro: :banana:

Would it be possible to help me the same problem? Carousel Position Timeout 942. I found this thread on Google and was hoping I could email you.

Thanks

This alarm is caused when your carousel does not move to the correct location. When do you get this alarm? does your carousel move at all?

During a tool change is when it happened. So I tried to do a "Recovery" and after following all commands it would give me the same alarm Carousel Position Timeout 942.

If the carousel does not move at all then I would look for a couple of things
    1. voltage to the carousel motor (It should be 160v)?
    2. the carousel motor belt is not broke?
    3. make sure the motor is not shorted

Sounds to me like it's possibly one of the 4 Omron relays on the I/O board.
    Just a thought tho!!
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

+1 For the relays.

Then move on to what Bryan said.

Turned out to be the I/O board. Bought 4 new relays and still didnt work. Hass came and replaced the I/O board... $850.00 plus labor... ouch! But I'm up and running. Thanks for the help. New to the forum and I like it!!