586,903 active members*
2,727 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Composites, Exotic Metals etc > Wet Cutting Solutions for Composites G10 /Carbon Plate

Hybrid View

Re: Wet Cutting Solutions for Composites G10 /Carbon Plate

I cut G10 up to 1/2" thickness dry using PCD endmills, namely Onsrud SERF and SERFIN cutters. Cut really clean. I just use a dust shoe for the dust; the problem is that the swarf seems to expand and pack slots and pockets. I made a custom dust shoe with short/ 1-1/2" bristles which keeps the shoe close to the work. Also my dust shoe moves independent of the spindle, so you can keep the same shoe height throughout the job.

Re: Wet Cutting Solutions for Composites G10 /Carbon Plate

I am aiming to cut g10 wet because my shop is smaller than many master bedroom closets, and I don't see any better way on the cheap to kill the dust in such a tiny room.

For a flood "coolant" pan, I decided to have a aluminum sheet metal pan made for me by Killarney Metals

Attachment 271826

The idea is the same as this video below, which shows how to add an acrylic pan below the table, except that unlike this acrylic example, by using the thin sheet metal instead, I don't have to saw the edges of my table extrusions off to allow clearance.

this youtube video

There should be juuuusssst enough room to allow the vertical walls of the pan to fit between the table edges and gantry uprights without touching the moving gantry parts.

Attachment 271830

I purchased a submersible pond pump from Home Depot online, (free shipping over $50), and I am looking at putting the pump and rough filter in a pail with perhaps this "Gamma Seal" cap system which screws tight onto a standard 5 gallon pail. I would run the plumbing out the top, and include a bypass valve to be able to reduce flow at the spindle nozzle, without blocking the flow out of the pump. I will post more details after I get it working.

Look also at CNC Cookbook's explanation of flood coolant systems to see more. I will add a filter for really fine stuff after the pump, and have some kind of mesh filter in the pail above/prior to the pump.

Now with all this water splashing around, I need to reconsider my wooden cnc enclosure, at least in the long run. PVC pipe and sheet perhaps?

The pic of the wooden enclosure is actually my setup.

Attachment 271832

The fancy version with all the windows is too tall, due to sliding vertical window clearance and too complicated.

Attachment 271834

I will probably simply paint the wood for now, to prevent water damage, and later I foresee a pvc pipe-based enclosure with .75" pvc on bottom, and maybe something cheaper on top. Magnets to hold polycarbonate/acrylic panels to the sides. Just brainstorming on that one.

Attachment 271836

The key thing in such a PVC pipe and /75" or 1" sheet-based design is that slots can be cut near or circularly offset from the 4 vertical pipe upright holes, and a NPT tapered pipe plug can be screwed into a NPT threaded hole in the sheet at the center of the slot, to expand the narrow bridge of material formed by the slot, to grip the pipe very tight. Such threads get larger as they progress into the hole; tapered, so it expands the material to grip the pipes going through it. See a video by Dan Gelbart below, where this very useful clamping idea is demonstrated and explained. His demo uses aluminum, but I bet .75" thick PVC would work so long as the plug is not overtightened. Maybe use a PVC plug instead of a metal one.

Youtube video by Dan Gelbart

That's about it for now.