586,969 active members*
3,153 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tranformer schematics?

I’m looking for a schematic or wiring diagram for a Fanuc (Shikoka) A80L-0001-0273 transformer. My jumpers are currently configured to output only 9v while the driver boards require 18V. I have the recommended 200v feed in.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A80L-0001-0273.jpg  

Are you looking to use this in a non-Fanuc application?
    I assume you know it is a three phase transformer?
    It should be easy to reverse engineer it, with the power off detect which or how many secondary windings or taps there are, using an OHM meter.
    Input the required voltage and test with an AC Voltmeter between the identified secondary outputs, series up as required to produce the voltage you need.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hey Al,
    This is in a Fanuc driven machine center and the original to the machine; the machine came out of a shop with 460v 3-phase power, while my shop is 208v 3-phase (which is “ideal” according to the dealer). I was able to power up everything, but the axis wouldn’t move. I’ve been able to trace everything back to this transformer (which powers the Fanuc servo drive boards) and it’s outputting about half the voltages required, even the driver boards’ LED’s light up.
    I had a local machine tool technician have a look, after half a day he was able to confirm my suspicions of improper jumper settings, but without a schematic he too was at a loss (as was I, except my loss was in my wallet)!
    That is why I was hoping someone here might shed some light (or even better, a drawing to help).

OK now Its clearer what you want to do, I will see if I can dig up the schematic, it looks like you have it hooked up on 208 using the 460v connections.
    The only thing is, if it was originally 460 into the machine disconnect, the panel wiring, fusing and any three phase motor wiring, contactors, overloads etc, may be sized for the 460 operation. All of the above would/should may need to be increased to take care of double the current required.
    I will check when I finish today.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks Al,
    I’d like to point out that the transformer in question is a “secondary” unit (which is located next to a primary transformer), the primary transformer excepts the incoming line voltage (either 460v or the 208v) and steps it down to 200v (which at present, is actually 190-200v). The 200v is then fed to the secondary transformer, which further steps down to the 18v & 135v to power the driver boards & servos. It is the last voltages that are only half of what they should be.

There is something a bit confusing, if the 'Primary' txmr is conditioning the voltage down to 200 for the secondary txmr, I would not have expected any need to change the 'Secondary' one? Is there a posibility it is the 'Primary' one that is wrong? What else does the 'Primary' one feed?
    My schematics do not show the exact one you have, If the input terminals are lableled can you list them or show a clear pic of the input terminals with labels?
    Al.

Albert E.

I must apologize; the photo I included at the start of this thread was from another source; although it is the same transformer (I posted it due to its clarity). I’ve attached an actual photo from the machine I’m working on. As you can see, the “primary” transformer is on the right, with the “secondary” on the left.
    With the “primary’ units’ taps set at 200v, I am able to power up the control (and accesses all of it’s functions), run and orient the spindle, activate the draw bar, index the tool carousel, most of the cabinet fans run, even the work light functions.
    The cabinet fans located in the door (just out of the photo) don’t run. I traced their leads back to the “secondary” transformer, and measured only 52v (they are 115v fans). This discovery led me to check the rest of the outputs of the “secondary” transformer, resulting in the same conclusion, half the output required.
    The local machine tool technician assesses this to “some monkey business” by the previous owner. But he agreed that it is a simple jumper setting.
    Also, there is another small transformer located in the cabinet on the other side of the machine. This is fed by the “primary” unit, and is responsible for the 110v required for the controller (Dynapath Delta 20) and required adjusting tap locations to bring the control to life, (Initially, it too was only providing half the voltage).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010131.jpg  

Hey Al,
    I just wanted to thank you for your assistance. I was able to get the machine up and running today (Finally!). As I suspected, it was a “simple” matter of adding 2 jumpers, and repositioning a few taps. She runs real smooth. Now I just need to get a programming/operations manual!
    Thanks again!

Good to hear you got it working, if it is a 0 or 15 & above, I have PDF versions.
    BTW if you do not already have, back up the parameters incl. the options ASAP.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks Al,
    The technician thinks it might be a Fanuc 10? What I’m looking for is the Operating/Programming manuals for the Dynpath Delta 20 control. The rest of the machine still uses the Fanuc controls, which are pretty much the familiar industry standards. I’ve already downloaded a post-processor for my OneCNC, but I feel more comfortable reading through the code a little, until I become more familiar with it (hence the manual).

I’m also going to look into the USB to RS232 adapters available for up/downloading programs. Have you had any experience with these?

transformer connections

I have the same transformer, also as a secondary transformer and the 185V output just gives me 108V.

Did you find the schematics for this? I guess it is also just setting the jumpers.
    I am using it in an acramatic 850 sabre 750

Thanks for the help

jolulank