586,560 active members*
3,602 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Taig Mill Backlash

I have A cnc TAIG Mill with the 18" Table, This machine has the CNC Leadscrew nuts. I am getting backlash that I just cannot tolerate as I machine many parts that have bearing fits machined into them. Has anyone installed ball screws on the Taig mill? If so can you elaborate on the process. I am open to listening to any ideas on correcting this problem.

Scott

I would ask here:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/

On my Taig CNC mill I get 0.003" backlash, which from reading the group, seems typical. If you are getting more than that, there are ways to isolate and fix the cause.

I've seen a couple of posts from guys who have converted Taig mills to ballscrews (search the group above). From their descriptions, it is not easy or cheap. If it was an easy retrofit I would be interested myself.

Ed

What do you consider acceptable? I can get .002" or so on mine, and like Edfurg saud .002"-.003" seems typical and realistic.
    I looked at mine to do a ballscrew conversion on, but it looked easier to me just to use the Taig to simply build another machine from scratch than to modify the stock Taig. Now I have the Taig for most use and a homebrew with ballscrews that I used the Taig to build. Ironically it cost about the same as modifying the Taig would have, as the major cost is in screws and a/c bearings. Easier too, I think.

I also scored a seriously beefy used Parker Daedal unit out of a laser optics facility that holds 1.3 micron, or .000051", but that is just getting stupid. It only has a 6" x 6" working envelope, But ground ballscrews and six(!) encoders. Its for sale cheap if you really feel the need something that blatantly insane, or just shop around for surplus if you are in a tech-rich area for something similar.

Taig Mill & ballscrews

Stepper - Have you posted a description or photos of your mill?

Also, send me a PM with details on your Parker Daedal unit. I have an application for a small working envelope mill for engraving.

I agree, It would be just as cheap to build a mill using ballscrews. I wish Taig offered a ballscrew version.

For a turn-key system, the Syil Products X2 and X3 are the lowest cost ballscrew mills I'm aware of: http://www.syilamerica.com/products.asp

Ed

I have a brand-new Taig 2018CR-ER and after doing the disassambly-and-nut-adjust featured on Nick Carters Taig pages, I got my backlash to .002".

I typically mill symmetrical 1" mold cavities 1/4" deep in aluminum using a 1/32" ball cutter, and the backlash is not noticeable on my resulting parts.

Just the same, I tried using the backlash compensation available in Mach3 which dropped the backlash to zero, but it added a crazy ramped decelerator when the axis changed direction, which tended to stall my steppers when used with my gcode and the acceleration I had set on my axes. I couldn't get rid of the funky behavior, so I abandoned the backlash compensation altogether.

It is kind of funny - my guage measures thous on a big dial, and a deflection of .002 looked HUGE on it. At first, I thought "Oh Noes!", but then I stopped and asked myself "Will, is it *really* that bad?". It wasn't.

I worked with the Taig over the weekend and I was able to get the backlash to .002 by adjusting the lead screw nut. My screw does have some wear in the center as it is now tight at both ends of the travel. All the parts I machine are small so this is not too much of a problem. I am going to order new screws and nuts for both the X and Y axis< when I install these I am going to add a bijur automatic oil pump so I know that they will always be well oiled.

Scott

Give us an update when you install the new parts. I ordered a new nut for my X axis but have not installed it. The brass leadscrew nut has a boss that appears to be press fitted into the mill. Not sure how to remove it and align the new one.

Ed

You can press it out, or carefully use a soft punch and punch it out.

Quote Originally Posted by edferg View Post
    The brass leadscrew nut has a boss that appears to be press fitted into the mill. Not sure how to remove it and align the new one.

Ed
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com

Quote Originally Posted by komar1970 View Post
    you can converted Taig mills to ballscrews without any problems
    go to cnc kit router mini mill BF20 taig ballscrew - Build Your Own
    Not a whole lot of info on that website at all.

Did you use this kit?

Do you have any pictures of the setup?

I saw your thread on the 5 axis Taig and was hoping you'd answer the questions others had for you there.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/taig_m...ig_5_axis.html
    Dave->..

So you got all the problems solved?

In another thread, you wrote:

"yes but if i change do The distance of 150 mm machine is moved 149.35 it is sam problem bath i dont no wath"

It was a bit difficult to understand what you meant, but it sounds like a problem, and not inconsistent with a backlash error. Was this the same machine you put the ballscrews in?

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com &mdash; Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

that problem is nat with taig machine that problem is with bf20 on this machine i have NSK BALLSCREW
    Any chance you could provide some more pictures of your ballscrew setup?

I'm a bit leery of that site you linked there isn't much info and seems like a lot of the links just don't do anything.

That same guy has been spamming the taigtools mailling list. Since he doesn't provide very detailed information (even a photo or a set of installation instructions) I can't expect most people to order from him.

I was fighting some bad X backlash on my Taig mill recently and it turned out to be the nylock nut that holds the coupler in place. I reinstalled the coupler and my backlash is around 0.0015" right now. I'm good with that.

I also made new coupler tubes (the little plastic tubes) and found an easy source for them. Many Bic-style pens have ink tubes that are the same diameter (just under 1/8", I think it was 0.120"). One pen tube is enough for one coupler.

This certainly would be a worth while upgrade but more info would be an asset . I have new leadscrews and nuts on hand for my X , Y and Z axis but may go this direction instead

If you go for it

Please let us know how it works, okay? As was pointed out, there's not much information on that site on the installation details. I'm particularly curious about how the ballnuts interface with the existing Taig setup, which doesn't have room for the typical ballnut flange.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com &mdash; Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

I agree either $hit or get off the pot , This would be an awesome upgrade but the lack of info is a little disapointing .

Forums like this are a great help if info is shared

i will add video haw is working the ball screw
    I really don't think that's going to be enough info to promote your ballscrew conversion. Especially when we're talking the type of cash you're asking for.
    Dave->..

Personally I fail to see the cost/benefit analysis of ball screws on a machine the size of a Taig.

The advantages of high quality ball screws are longevity, efficiency and low backlash. They provide an efficient and accurate means of of motion that does not need the maintenance of other systems.

Cheap ballscrews are no better backlash wise than good ACME screws. Also don't forget that lead screws are also rated by their pitch deviation per unit length. Who cares if you only have 0.0005" of backlash if the pitch is off 0.001" over 4"?

Now, with care a Taig's backlash can be easily adjusted to less than 0.001". If you keep the screws lubricated and tweak it every six months it will stay that way. For most folks they will have a lot more variation in the dimensions of what they make from tool wear, the way the GCode is written etc.

If your building an industrial machine that will run 24/7 then it is a different story.
    Jeff Birt

I see the benefit even on a Taig mill but I certainly cannot justify the complete package cost of $1100.00 for the complete kit . Like come on thats flipping hi way robbery considering the whole machine less the cnc equipment costs only $925.00 .

Post a picture or something Komar of the complete kit and not some lame video .

Here's a 5-Axis Taig from Canuckistan, eh.

Taig mill 5 axis with ball screw - Taig Ballscrew BF20 Mill milling routing machine machines

Pricey ($5,775 USD). But, it has ballscrews, and choice of trunnion table or rotary on the A and Z.

270 oz/in steppers.

Post processor looks to be an extra $1000 (!).

I wish I had the cash, or Taig offered it from the factory like this.

Best,
    JBR

They are way out to lunch on price , you can piece that together for less than that .

Page 1 of 2 12