586,546 active members*
3,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Engraving in anodized aluminum

Engraving in anodized aluminum

Hi,

We just got a RS3040A laser machine from Redsail, (hflaser.com). Everything we have engraved is ok so far. However, we are trying to engrave on colored anodized aluminum and it does not engrave anything, we set the machine to min. speed and max. power and it does not even scratch the color layer.

The machine is 40 W power, from what I know it should engrave or is there any trick I´m missing?

Thank you,

Jose

I might be all wet here but maybe you should take a flow master and ink up the area where you want to engrave, the color will act like a mirror and what happens to a dirty mirror ? just a thought
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

ink for laser

Hi Cruiser,

Thanks for your help.

Sounds it could work, but what sort of ink is it?. What´s the name or brand and where can I buy ot from?

Thanks again.

Flow master or just plain ole felt tip marker ! actually i think anything to dirty the surface might be of use here, maybe ! try what ya got till it works.
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

You have to use a lot of speed and the frequency of the laser must be adjusted to mark on anodized aluminum. We mark on it all the time with the laser system we sell. Ostling Marking systems. The power can remain the same it has to do with frequency control and speed.

Hi all,
    I have a laser chinesse machine 60w, you need more power to engrave on anodized aluminium, on plain aluminium you will not engrave. Some spray is used to mark on aluminium, I saw it in a forum. Also have heard about the flow master but have not give a try, I will and tell.
    Luistry

If this is a co2 laser you'll need more power and slower engraving. So boost to 100% power and adjust your speed until you get the results you want. With that wattage you can engrave that material. You must also adjust your freq. for that material. Diff. materials cut and engrave at diff. freqs.