586,762 active members*
7,272 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Shielded or not to power steppers ?

Shielded or not to power steppers ?

Is it recommended to use shielded cable to run power to the steppers or does it really matter ?

Thanks,
    Marc.

I bought some, and would recommend it. It all depends on your system but you could run the risk of having RF issues if you don't.

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Shielded cable is relatively cheap insurance but if you follow some basic guidelines, you can get away without using it.

One guideline is to keep other power cables out of the same vicinity as the motor cables and do not run the cables together - running the cables parallel (in the physical sense, not the electrical sense) will drastically increase the possibility of interference. Also - keep the cables away from any VFDs or other high frequency components. If it is required to run them in the same area, you might want to shroud the objectionable component with a Faraday shield (a grounded, electrically conductive shield that surrounds the component and will substantially negate offensive EMF).

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Talking Thanks

Shielded it is.

Marc.

Just one more question ...

Should the shield (one end only) be connected to signal ground or chassis ground ?

Thanks.

All your grounds should be chassis grounded to a single point. I didn't believe it at first but have since wired mine this way and it works great.. this included sheilded wire, power supplies.. everything..
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)