Hi Everyone,

So I've lurked and read and learned and lurked some more long enough! This all came about because of a design I have been working on for close to 3 years which evolved to a point I decided to quit my job in Oil & Gas and go on my own again. I've put myself on a budget to start a small machine shop and will be launching a product this summer/fall as I hone my skills and build the business.

I will be spending a decent part of the budget getting the machine and tooling up which is why I am going the shipping container route. I don't have a garage and not going to rent space somewhere when I haven't had sales yet. Besides, a 40' container cost me $2500 and at about $6K I'll have it all built out.

Shop Layout:

Where I'm at today:

CNC Mill goes all the way in the back on a 2" fiber reinforced concrete slab w/ stand feet going to be on epoxy resin pads centered on top of the steel trusses. I still have a bit of concern on machine vibration. Honestly, if I had to do it over again I can't say I'd pour 4" foundation instead of 2" (that was the biggest pain in the a.. of the project so far hand mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow.

Found an awesome little rolling tool chest for $199 so instead of the $195 machine arm to put monitor, keyboard, controller on I get a cool tool cart same height with some storage benefit for tools. It goes on the right, then a computer desk for laptop, screens and 3D printer. Then, coming back more I have assembly/QA benches (Qty 2) 8 foot long with pegboard behind them. Will add shelving at top of them later. Then a Shipping rack back at the entrance.

Left side from entry to the back; Receiving rack/materials storage, materials handling (chopsaw etc...), AC unit/finishing equipment/"breakroom" then pallet loading station along with the cutting tools rack.

Ordering the CNC mill tomorrow, hopefully will have electrical completed by the time it shows up. At least the A/C needs to work because it's Texas and I have cold Norwegian blood lol.

BTW, what I'm getting:

• PCNC 1100 mill with stand - I don't have time to build my own stand
  • Automatic Tool Changer - To me a must have for production runs
  • Steel Fixture plate - I did a fair amount of manual machining in past. Pallets/fixtures you gotta do for production
  • 5" CNC vice w/ jaw kit - Not a mill without a vice!
  • Smart Cool/Multi Cool - Flood & airblast, programmed to point where you need it through tool changes. (See too many videos everyone always screwing with their nozzles.)
  • Some end mills for steel and aluminum
  • Fixture clamps
  • Qty 2 Wildhorse probe/toolsetters - 1 for tool-setting, 1 for work offset
  • *No 4th axis for me yet, think above will keep me busy for a while and I'll wait until I start making money before purchasing

I've planned for this quite a while, started with a BOM and think I have fairly accurate costing which is not overly optimistic. We'll see how planned vs actual goes. As far as the shop setup goes do you guys see anything big that I am missing or haven’t factored in?

BTW, reading for the last year or so you guys have saved me from a number of mistakes already so thank you!