Question What CNC can be tomorrow?

Nobody doubts that only СNC tomorrow will be the basic processing
    machines. But how they should develop?
    I think that a question about CNC much more widely, than simply turning,
    milling and other machine tools. It is necessary to use the opposite
    approach to a problem. To not cut, but to build. It is necessary to not
    delete a material, and on the contrary to insert it. Approximately as
    children build houses of cubes. Only we should use special materials and
    provide pasting or welding. Cubes can be very small and can be greater.
    All depends on a task in view. Then we shall create essentially new
    machine tools.We can not only to produce for example
    automatically/build/house, but also to receive many different original
    subjects from 100 % use of a material.Nobody knows, what shortage of
    resources will be tomorrow. It is necessary to have and develop an
    alternative variant of development of a manufacturing industry.

Something like this?

Those rapid prototypers in Walter's video link seem to be getting popular. Some people call them "fabbers" and there's group of people at Cornell trying to encourage people to build their own using the group's free design available on the web.

Unfortunately, I don't really see it getting as big as they think. It's great for industrial design. By using multiple colored fluids (kind of like a tool change), you can even avoid having to paint your prototype. But functionally, I don't see that many applications for it. Currently, the only people buying these machines are industrial artists/designers... people making prototypes for household items, toys, electronic casings, and maybe even cars. But they're just models... purely aesthetic, with zero functionality. In the future, let's say the price actually goes down to the $3K (I'd be dubious about the quality). Who will buy them? Probably budding industrial designers.

A 3D printer in every home? Probably not. Paper printers are a necessity in daily life and even then, most people these days only spend $100-200 on a printer. You can get a decent laser printer for $80 from Samsung. There are some awesome $2500 printers out there... color laser, 11x17, that rival the quality of pro printing houses. But not many people buy them... mostly pros who need a way to quickly print out some sample booklets in small quantity.

I think milling, turning, sawing, and grinding will be around for a LONG time. I think in the very distant future, when humans can accurately manipulate materials at the molecular level, a "fabbing" machine for metallic materials may be possible. But based on the current rate of progress, it'll probably happen after World War 3.

The only major change I really see happening in the next 10-20 years is in the affordability of CNC machines, thanks to rising popularity and the use of EPOXY COMPOSITES! The technology is brewing right here on CNCzone...

Good post Zumba!

Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    Good post Zumba!
    I do not know, how you submit materials, but three years ago when I was visited with an idea on it, I thought to include microfiber reinforcing in pitch. Big to you thanks. You have answered my questions.
    I live in Russia and this information was not accessible to me. Many thanks.

You're welcome Oleg.

These techniques are nothing new, google search "3d Printer" to find out more. Some companies want to build houses using this stuff.

Here's the Cornell group's website I was talking about.

http://www.fabathome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Quote Originally Posted by Zumba View Post
    Here's the Cornell group's website I was talking about.

http://www.fabathome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
    I thought to use two substances. One core, another for formation of emptiness, with its subsequent fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    You're welcome Oleg.

These techniques are nothing new, google search "3d Printer" to find out more. Some companies want to build houses using this stuff.
    I am glad that you liquidate my illiteracy. I live in a wood and around of me bears go. I did not know that exist 3d Printer!Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zumba View Post
    Those rapid prototypers in Walter's video link seem to be getting popular. Some people call them "fabbers" and there's group of people at Cornell trying to encourage people to build their own using the group's free design available on the web.

Unfortunately, I don't really see it getting as big as they think. It's great for industrial design. By using multiple colored fluids (kind of like a tool change), you can even avoid having to paint your prototype. But functionally, I don't see that many applications for it. Currently, the only people buying these machines are industrial artists/designers... people making prototypes for household items, toys, electronic casings, and maybe even cars. But they're just models... purely aesthetic, with zero functionality. In the future, let's say the price actually goes down to the $3K (I'd be dubious about the quality). Who will buy them? Probably budding industrial designers.

A 3D printer in every home? Probably not. Paper printers are a necessity in daily life and even then, most people these days only spend $100-200 on a printer. You can get a decent laser printer for $80 from Samsung. There are some awesome $2500 printers out there... color laser, 11x17, that rival the quality of pro printing houses. But not many people buy them... mostly pros who need a way to quickly print out some sample booklets in small quantity.

I think milling, turning, sawing, and grinding will be around for a LONG time. I think in the very distant future, when humans can accurately manipulate materials at the molecular level, a "fabbing" machine for metallic materials may be possible. But based on the current rate of progress, it'll probably happen after World War 3.

The only major change I really see happening in the next 10-20 years is in the affordability of CNC machines, thanks to rising popularity and the use of EPOXY COMPOSITES! The technology is brewing right here on CNCzone...
    Three years ago I was occurred with an idea about 3D. Two months
    ago I have decided to construct plasma CNC. One one month
    ago I was registered on a site CNCzone. Today I have decided to share
    with
    members СNCzone the ideas about 3D. You have answered me. I have
    learned, that this idea already for a long time is introduced in
    manufacture. Are drawn all possible conclusions.Forgive people. Did not
    know. It is a shame to me. Tears flow on my cheeks.
    What do you show me,
    what achievements of science and technology?
    It appears in all countries of thousand chemists and physicists day and
    night some years .но all is vain work on this problem. The great guru
    has drawn a conclusion that, people on a planet the Earth cannot
    manipulate substances on molecular many many years. One hope at people
    EPOXY COMPOSITES.In 10-20 years.
    What do you show me? The Big syringe with any substance,
    established(installed) instead of a mill. Small details, copies.
    Transparent plastic with hanging belts.
    Also it is results of work of thousand chemists and physicists.?
    There were no thousand chemists and physicists. There was nothing. There
    were no deep tests of hundreds materials, their properties with
    reference to 3D?I see only people who try to earn money for a
    useless plastic boxes. .
    Question 3D very big. You have not answered it. I am assured, that Tomorrow or already today there will be people
    who will want to answer it. It is not necessary for them to wait for the
    third world war.

fabathome.org DIY Version.

3d printing metal

One of my favorite web sites is bathsheba.com She utilizes a company that has a metal deposition 3d printer. Her models are out of this world and would be extremely hard to fabricate by any machine tool (if not impossible). I recommend reading the process she lists on her site... hope this is of interest to all.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by d.dixson View Post
    One of my favorite web sites is bathsheba.com She utilizes a company that has a metal deposition 3d printer. Her models are out of this world and would be extremely hard to fabricate by any machine tool (if not impossible). I recommend reading the process she lists on her site... hope this is of interest to all.

Doug
    Thanks for the reference. I am amazed seen. Thanks. It proves, that it is necessary to look with optimism.

Actualy NTNU in Norway has a working 3D printer that prints metall objekts:
    http://www.mpp.no/intro/intro.htm

Quote Originally Posted by flesvik View Post
    Actualy NTNU in Norway has a working 3D printer that prints metall objekts:
    http://www.mpp.no/intro/intro.htm
    I especially liked it.

...This is just some examples. The limitation is only our imagination. It is our belief that the MPP technology may be the beginning of a new industry. A long-term objective is to establish a new enterprise located in Norway. This new enterprise will be the developer and supplier of MPP technology worldwide.