586,396 active members*
3,096 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > How's the X3 grizzly gibbs and ways? Is it square ?

How's the X3 grizzly gibbs and ways? Is it square ?

How's the X3 grizzly - is it ready to go or is it a kit of parts like some HF machines? I haven't touched or more importantly used an X3 so input from those who have would be hugely welcome.

How are the gibbs and ways? are they smooth out of the box or is there a lot of adjusting or lapping required?

How's the alignment in x,y and z? Tables flat? Anyone had to skim the table flat? Anyone using a magnetic table with an X3?

Thinking of buying one and cnc'ing for a specific need. It will be a low volume (50 a week) production of parts in cold rolled mild steel, 6061 and maybe stainless ( or not if I can avoid it). All parts are under 1"x3.5"x1.5", problem is I'd need to hold tolerance to +/-0.01 (ten thou) in dimension AND more importantly square. All parts would use the same e/mill so no tool changing for each part required.

What's the concensus; is an X3 up to that?

Thanks

Andrew

I myself would like to know of any issues with the Super X3 and the X3.. I am seriously thinking about buying one..

Randy

Don't know if it is still the case, but with manual X3 my dad owns there were some initial issues. Not to steer you away from buying them, of course, but I would just not expect them to be 100% ready to go right off the pallet.

His X3 as recieved was not the most accurate, truest, or smoothest thing out there, but it just looked like a case of great design but rather marginal attentiveness in assembly.
    After a couple of hours of basic dis- and proper re- assembly and minor tweaking, honing, de-burring, tapping, sanding, adjusting, and tightening of a few of the components, the machine then EASILY matched anything I would expect from one of the "big" names. An easy afternoon of work well spent, but I would not have been happy at all with using the machine as-shipped.
    For the several grand savings I'd take doing the adjustments though. Good machine all in all. I have heard similar reports from other machinists - good stuff, but the initial setup and finish is not great. Expect to get greasy and spend a couple of hours.

Chip Sweeper.. thanks for the feedback.. it is things like this that i am looking forward reading..

Quote Originally Posted by Stepper Monkey View Post
    Don't know if it is still the case, but with manual X3 my dad owns there were some initial issues.
    Thanks. Is yours a Grizzley or Harborfreight?

Definitely not a HF, I am pretty positive it is a Grizzly. I'll double check next time I'm over there.
    Other than a couple of hours of fine tweaking, the only other problem he has had was a blown relay or contactor or similar on the spindle. That was easily enough replaced with something locally, and I don't know if that was just a fluke or whether they are known for that. I know since than they have changed the spindle electronics anyway.
    No matter how good the design, Chinese Q.C. can be pretty iffy, seems like everything comes out like they built it at 5:00pm on Friday! After you go through and make sure the bolts are actually all there and tight, its usually good stuff.
    I keep wanting to CNC it for him but he just isn't interested.