586,469 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Need a monitor replacement - Heidenhain TNC 2500

Need a monitor replacement - Heidenhain TNC 2500

Hi,

First poster from the UK here, hoping to get help with our Heidenhain unit on our Bridgeport Series 1 Interact mill.

The monitor's display is very feint now, and increasing the brightness using the knob on the front of the monitor panel hasn't improved things much.

I understand the cost of a new monitor is astronomical, in the order of £1500 GBP.

We've had a look at the graphics port's pin-out diagram and it doesn't appear to be possible to make an adaptor to allow us to use a normal PC's VGA (15-pin 3 row) monitor lead plug, and rest it on the shelf instead of using the embedded monitor (which uses 15-pin 2 row plug).

Any advice welcome, whether it be compatible monochrome monitors with details so I can trace one on ebay, or adaptor possibilities to get a normal PC monitor working with it.

Thanks,

Phil.

r

the early non graphics monitors don't cross directly to anything, but if you make and apapter , it is an inverted monochrome hercules or mga monitor. One could make a small circuit to invert the video[it comes out dark letters bright background with the retrace visible]

Problem then is finding the monitor, as the refresh is too slow for any modern vga

Oh Yeah

Old video game buffs have upconversion widgets available, since the 80's commercial video cames used CGA type monitors, and they are burning up now

A recon monitor is available for these for a lot less than that.I can put you in touch with a guy in the UK if you want,
    Mark.

ISTR they tend to be pricey, previous figures bandied about inthe 600-1200 range. Heidenhain did have a TFT replacement for IIRC 1500 bucks.

Almost certainly the dim screen is just an low emission cathode on the CRT. If you can get any part numbers on the CRT then you could maybe source a replacement tube.

AWEM
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Quote Originally Posted by gridley51 View Post
    A recon monitor is available for these for a lot less than that.I can put you in touch with a guy in the UK if you want,
    Mark.

Hi Mark,

Yes, please could you send me details of this supplier. It would also help us if there are more problems with the unit in future.

Thanks,

Phil.

just remembered that I bookmarked this:

http://www.dynamicdisplay.com/150800...ement_lcd.html

I believe it synchs low enough to run on the heidenhain

Dunno price

Looking into Gus' link, here is another at the same company:

http://www.dynamicdisplay.com/qes900..._monitors.html

the QES914-112 is Hercules video and even has the amber phosphor for that authentic look.....

Thanks guys, I'm currently on the trail Mark/gridley51 put me on, which is to buy a recon'd monitor from a reputable company here in the UK. I'll post my findings here when I get the replacement monitor.

gus/swarf rat - As usual, us UK'ers look across the pond with envy at the prices you get to pay! It might be cheaper than a replacement OE monitor bought here, but the recon'd monitor looks to be about £700, which is about half price of a new OE unit like gus said.

Thanks guys, got a BE212 exchange replacement with 6 month warranty for £595 ex VAT. Works a treat and was very easy to fit.

The company was Steadman Machine tool service in Farnborough, Hants - http://www.smts.co.uk/index.htm or 01252 378338. Turnaround time was all right, and it was well packaged.

Just finding out who'll give the best rebate for the old one now